Best Maths program to start with a Three Year old??

Hi Everyone.

My daughter just turned three. I knew about the Doman method all along since she was born - but could never start it with her because of my very very busy schedule for the past 3 years. I printed out those dotted sheets and even showed her a few times but never got past 20 .

Now I will be able to spend a few hours every day with her . Can the experts here suggest a good and interesting Maths program appropriate for a three year old . I want her to be amused and interested with whatever I give her. She is a highly energetic girl . She loves books . She’s learning to recognize and write letters nowadays. She can count things correctly up to 20 . She can be a great learner as long as the learning material is interesting to her. I have seen her never forget a single thing she learns.

Also, I recently realized that for past three years , we have progressed well on reading , alphabets etc. But numbers just stayed limited to counting 1-2-3 and so on. I hope you understand what I am saying . I want my daughter to progress on numbers as well like doing addition etc . I want her to be interested in Maths as she grows up.

I have lurked here a few times in past 4 years and I know that I’ll get some good ideas here.

Thanks a lot for reading this and please ask me any questions if you need more information …

And I want to add another question — Will Little Math/Doman be still effective with her ?? She’s 3 year old now…

Just off the top of my head, you can check out:

Singapore Math - http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/review-of-(singapore)-earlybird-kindergarten-math/

Jones Geniuses Matrix Math - http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/jones-geniuses-matrix-math-review/

RightStart Math - http://forum.brillkids.com/product-discussions-and-reviews/rightstart-math-users-opine-please/

Touch Math - http://forum.brillkids.com/product-discussions-and-reviews/our-view-jones-geniuses-vs-touchmath/

Personally, I have used Singapore and JG math with my daughter starting when she was 2 years and a few months old and then started Rightstart math when she was almost 3. I supplement the RS curriculum with Mathstart books (which she absolutely loves!), LM equations, math DVDs, youtube videos, and just incorporating math into routine activities in our daily life. I don’t think there is any best or perfect math program out there for every child as each child learns differently. So you may end up doing what I did and just try out what you think will work and adjust to your child’s learning style accordingly.

So far, out of the 4 programs I have tried with her (Doman/LM, Singapore, JG, and Rightstart), I feel like she is getting the most out of RS math in combination with the Mathstart books and math dvds. She has now mastered the concepts of addition, subtraction, and multiplication, is beginning to understand division, and has memorized a lot of her addition and subtraction math facts as well as her 2s, 5s, and 10s times tables. Actually, I am not sure if has them memorized or whether she is visualizing the abacus in her head - either way, it is working! :slight_smile: We also missed the window for teaching Doman math so she never learned to subitize. I am hoping to make up for it by teaching her to do mental math through the abacus.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

http://www.livingmath.net/

aangeles - do you mind sharing which math DVDs you are using?

I wanted to also add Montessori math into the mix. Brilliant minds has a nice kit. Maria Montessori designed the program for 3-6 year olds.

Maquenzie,

I have the Peter Weatherall and Mathtacular DVDs. But the ones that are the most effective for introducing and explaining math concepts, for instilling good number sense, and for making math just plain fun for Ella are the Math segments in a Chinese DVD program that I subscribe to called Qiao Hu (Smart Tiger). For some reason, she GETS it so much faster and easier when the concept is being explained and demonstrated in Chinese by her beloved Smart Tiger mascot. It doesn’t hurt either that the math concepts are introduced at a more advanced level (but still in a sequential and logical manner) in this Chinese program. For example, she is subscribed to the 4-5 year old level for the Chinese DVD program where skip counting and multiplication are already introduced; whereas, in her preschool, the children are still working on number recognition and one-on-one correspondence. It is a good thing she doesn’t seem to have trouble switching between English and Chinese when working with numbers. Unfortunately, the DVDs (and accompanying storybooks, activity books, and manipulatives) are all in Traditional Chinese. There is a similar program in Japanese, but nothing comparable in English - at least none that I have found. I would love something similar in French and Spanish also and I am still looking… :frowning:

Hi Aangeles,

As you said, we understand each and every child learns differently. Even though would like to get some tips to start Math for my 2 years old son.

We could see lots of Text and Activity books available in Singapore method. Just want to know the major different between local kindergarten and preschool Math activity book material and Singapore material.

How it will help and in which way we have to follow for make success for my son.

Thanks & Regards,
Jothi…

Thanks everyone !

Everything suggested here seems so expensive [around 100 dollars ! ] I am not sure if I am ready to spend that much money right now. I have been famous for jumping in on stuff and spending 100s of dollars and not using those things appropriately later :ohmy: .

So I’ll slow down . I 'll either choose the best out of the expensives or will decide on less expensive ways .

I just started using a few iPhone apps to teach my daughter numbers . She seems pretty interested in them . She quicky learned shapes of numbers up to 10 while having fun. Honestly , I want to challange her a bit more than that. Let me see if I can find any nice apps . Anyone know of any good - easy - hard ones :slight_smile: ??

I don’t have any app suggestions but I do have some for a math program. As a homeschooling mom and daycare provider I have looked at and used lots of math programs. We have not used the Doman Method successfully for math. I have found the book Kitchen Table Math a helpful place to start.

I recommend the following two programs, both available online free: MEP - http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm
You will find it similiar to Singapore math but I think it is better. There is a yahoo support group for users that I have found to be most helpful.

The program I like best is: CSMP - http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/ The kindergarten manual is 700 pages long. I would recommend you sift through it. I’ve never seen a program like it. If you want true right brain learning - this is not necessarily your best bet. So, I’d supplement with flash cards and other things, but for making children truly understand math and making your children creative problem solvers…you can’t beat it. The kindergarten materials are fine for a 3 year old.

No matter what, use lots and lots of manipulatives. I’d start collecting things to use…lego men, shells, buttons, glass rocks from the dollar store, anything. Dice are wonderful. We use glass beads to match the patterns on the dice when counting to make sure we have the right amount. Bean bags are wonderful. We play a game where we toss 5 bean bags ( or whatever number you choose) into a bucket. We count the ones that landed in the bucket and write it on the chalk board and then we add up the ones that landed outside the bucket and write it on the chalk board. After 3 - 4 rounds your child will understand that there are several ways to write the number 5 - 0+5, 1+4, 2+3, etc. It will help them really understand what the numbers mean. It won’t take long before they will just know that if 2 are in the bucket 3 are out. They won’t have to count them. It is a wonderful time to ask how many more and how many fewer questions. If you play too and make it a competition, you can play best out of three matches and so on. This little game has helped our 2 and three year olds more than any curriculum could have.

One more thought, for helping you understand mental math in order to help your child I’d recommend the book Secrets of Mental Math. http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Mental-Math-Mathemagicians-ebook/dp/B000Q80SM6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top