Best 'general' classical music CD?

I’d be interested to hear your recommendations of a general classical music CD with some of the more famous compositions from a variety of composers. I browse the CD’s when I’m out but mostly I can only find CD’s entirely from the one composer or lullaby style music and what I’m really after is a variety of pieces from a variety of composers. Preferably some of the more common ones that I may be able to recognise! (I have absolutely NO musical ability and the only composition I’m familiar with is Pachobel’s cannon because we used it for our wedding). I’d like to play it for BC and as mentioned by other mums, tell him the name of the piece and the composer each time. Hopefully this will be the start of our musical program. Thanks!

I got this 10-CD box set used but in very good condition at Amazon marketplace for $25: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001VUG/ref=oss_product

It’s not a perfect collection but I thought it was good enough to start off with, plus the it was really good value for the price I paid. :slight_smile:

I agree with aangles. I’m not sure if this is the set we had when I was a kid, but I remember it was a “100-best” that had 10 CDs. It was a good mix and I remember hearing themes in commercials, etc and recognizing them growing up.

Wow thanks ladies, that looks to be EXACTLY what I was looking for! I really appreciate the link. Now to see if I can find it in any of our local music stores… Hmmm, or maybe I’ll just download the tracks from iTunes? I will have to look into it to see what is most cost effective.