Benchmarking - aka determining reading level

http://teachers.cmsfq.edu.ec/elementary/Tchaikovsky/CLASS%20NOTES/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=http%3A%2F%2Fteachers.cmsfq.edu.ec%2Felementary%2FTchaikovsky%2FCLASS%20NOTES%2FTUTOR%2FBENCHMARKS&FolderCTID=0x0120004E4C725D1D984042AA38BDF24B85B277

Sorry about that ridiculously long link…not sure what that’s about…

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you because (nosy mommy that I am) I’ve been testing (shhhh) my son on his reading level. We used this program when I taught kindergarten in a private school. The Reading A-Z leveling is one letter higher than the Fountas & Pinnell leveling (Fountas & Pinnell created the most common benchmarking program in US & CDN schools). I was thrilled to have access to them because all of my resources had to be left in the classroom when I left…school paper, ink, etc…sigh. Anyway, I’ve been using this link to print off and benchmark my child. Once I determine which level he’s at, I use the Fluency printouts in a daily (almost) precision reading time.

Precision reading is basically when a child is given one minute to read a passage - the amount of words and mistakes are recorded and graphed. The passage is read up to 10 times or until it is read perfectly within that minute. We read each passage two times/day, and I move to the next passage after he reads the current passage 100% correctly two times and answers comprehension questions that I make up. (That’s just my spin on the process) If I remember correctly (I printed my stuff out a few weeks ago) this link offers three different fluency stories (two parts to each story) - so, in our house, that means we have 6 different passages for each reading level. If he reads the fluency passages easily, I’ll check his reading level and bump him up a level before finishing all six passages.

My son is 5 now and still doesn’t know that I’m testing. It’s just something that we do as a homeschooling family - he just thinks it one of his activities and is totally fine with it - there is no pressure or acknowledgement that there is an evaluation being done. I will say, however, by testing him I now have a much better idea of what he is capable of. …and it inspires me to keep literacy as the major component to our school day.

I test too. Not just reading. But math, science and general knowledge. James is 3.5 he doesn’t know that they are tests. But he also doesn’t have any opinion of testing either. And I hope to keep it that way. Tests never bothered me. They are efficient ways to show what one knows.

I think knowing your child’s reading level helps. For me it enables me to give James a challenge book every so often so he doesn’t become complacent. This book is often quite above his reading level. And he needs quite a bit of assistance. But after we have read this challenge book he never goes back down to his former reading level. He finds books at his former reading level easier. And it more inclined to consider them light reading.
I also provide him books below his reading level so that he isn’t always “working” so hard when he reads. I have loved watching him go from reading very simple one word per page books in his own to more complex books.

I can’t wait to check out the link your provided above. I have used several assessments. I have been using DRA levels to get a good match on books because for a while a DRA of 16 was just right. 14 was too easy and 18 just a minor challenge. Now that he is at a higher lever these minor differences in levels won’t matter too much I think.

karma to you kizudo! I can’t thank you enough for the link and the benchmark. I have always wanted to know my son’s reading level. Being an EL kid, he reads pretty well for his age but I don’t know for sure what level he is. The link you shared is a GEM for me!

I know testing is not good when it comes to teaching your child. Honestly, I tested him because I just wanted to give myself a pad in the back. It feels good and very encouraging when I know that what I have done did actually paid of.

I checked these out just out of curiousity :biggrin: they are quite good and very accurate at the levels from f to z in reality I think they are pretty unusable below level d and I though level d was a bit hard for that reading level equivalent.
I like that it contains both fiction and non fiction as it is very common to find children who can read fiction easily but non fiction at the same level is a challenge for them.
A useful link once your child starts tackling solid picture books. Before that your own judgement would be more useful.

The A-Z system is the exact same one that my local school district uses. For me I like that I can align James to the school district that he will either attend or I will have to show account to.

I was really confused by the letter system, but a friend on facebook set me straight. Maybe this chart will be helpful to some of you too. :slight_smile:

http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/guidedreading/leveling_chart.htm

Tamsyn this is the link with the RAZ program.

http://www.readinga-z.com/correlation-chart.php

Scholastic levels are different to RAZ (reading a-z).

I just hauled out an old Reading A-Z book: “Spiders” level L On page two it has a correlation chart. So this Reading A-Z book was leveled at an L, but it says that it correlates to Fountas & Pinnell Level K, Reading Recovery Level 18, and DRA 20.

In my experience, most brick & mortar schools in North America use the Fountas & Pinnell system, Reading Recovery or the DRA. My brain has to translate everything into Fountas & Pinnell levels, so I’m thankful that they have this printed out in each book :slight_smile:

Once you use one of the testing passages as a benchmark assessment, you should not use it again. Repeated reading of the passage doesn’t give you a clear reading on the ability of a child to decipher new text - which is what you want to see when you’re benchmarking. So, if you get a low reading and your child isn’t quite ready for that level, save one of the fluency passages to use as an evaluation tool for later…when you think there’s been enough improvement to evaluate again.

I’ve got to say, though, my son LOVES the precision reading that we do. The fluency passages are interesting, but he LOVES charting his results and seeing the improvement. With fluency practice, we gain skills in reading quickly, with comprehension, and with expression. It’s working very well for us. I hope it also brings smiles to your home!

Korrale4kg - thanks for the link :slight_smile:

I think the fountas and Pinnell reading level correlates with scholastic. And scholastic is widely used in the US.

My local school district in Ohio uses RAZ.
Another program I am familiar with is the 100 book challenge. It is used in a different school district in Ohio. It is really confusing with the lettering. But I do love the little cards that they use. They have reading achievements. Things Ike being able to decode certain words. To read at certain speeds. It is really pretty thorough.

http://www.americanreading.com/leveling/correlations/

Hi kizudo, thanks for the link. :slight_smile: I tried to access the files to test my eldest but I couldn’t open any. Can you help? Thanks

Nadia, I wish I could but I just tried it and was able to download. It worked fine for me. If I had a techie bone in my body I might have a suggestion, but I don’t. Maybe there’s another person reading this thread that has an idea.

I initially clicked on the dropdown box beside the click and selected “send to>download a copy”, then it asked for a username and password. Now, I tried just clicking on the file and it worked! Thanks again. This is a great tool. :slight_smile:

thank! :smiley: