beginning program with 18 month old, need advice

I’m getting ready to begin reading program with my 18 month old. We are doing math now and I’ve noticed that if I do too many cards at once Kaietan is bored. I have to trick him a little, hide cards under the rug or under the pillow, play hide and seek, show cards in the car.

How can I avoid boredom when doing reading program? Will 2 words in one session be enough? Do I have to do 5 different categories each day? And if I show one category only two times a day will that be enough? How do I combine reading with math?

I know that’s a lot of questions but I want to make sure I do everything right.
Hope you will share what you’ve learned form your experience.
Thank you all

A good way to keep interest levels up is to use a variety of methods. Are you only using physical flash cards? Also try DVD and software programs in conjunction with that.

KL thank you for your reply

We are just beginning our adventure with flash cards and I have so much to learn! I had no idea there was software program until few days ago. I’ll be teaching my son in POlish, is there any software you would recommend?

i don’t know about polish, but I have a 20 month old and he loves flashcards but I only do them 1 time a day, i have certain days for reading, math, spelling, etc. I have found out that different colored flashcards help, having flashcards on shower curtain rings, sometimes it is how you present the flashcards like the shape, color, size, etc ( i have even made car shaped flashcards for my son loves cars, sometimes its all about the looks), also the power point software allows you to do slide show presentations and then play them back. I record my slide show presentations on my camcorder and play them in my DVD player for my son to watch during the day. You can also record online videos, books and more that way. It works great. Instead of TV all the time you can create your own TV shows. I hope this helps. ALso you can do what is called a word wall. My son loves a word wall poster in his room and in his hands.
By the way certain colors can also effect the interest of a child, look up more on color therapy. It has helped me.

Of course we would recommend Little Reader, but we made it so of course we’re very biased. :slight_smile:

LR can be used for many different languages. I believe there are many who have used it for Polish, and there are already 86 files in Polish right now:
http://forum.brillkids.com/downloads/?cat=105

I also recommend Little Reader. I didn’t make it or was not involved in anyway in the making of LR so am not biased but still recommend it. You can customize it based on the interest of your child. Since your baby is 18 month old, it’s generally hard to keep their attention for long. My older son got instantly bored with flash cards so with LR I sneak a truck picture in between sessions (he is all crazy about trucks and cars, boy’s what can you say) he is all excited and recharged. That is one of the main things I love about LR, you can do what ever your little one wants in a flash of time.

One thing I am still waiting for is the initial music, when LR or LM launches it’s very quite. KL has promised it long time ago. I couldn’t find that thread. What happened to the initial launch music so that children can associate it to LM or LR?

heh… sorry about that… will work on it asap!! Promise!

As much you want to teach your child. You don’t wont to bore them.
You should do is to go with the baby’s mood more than anything my baby sometimes does not want to even do one but some days she wants to do more. As a parent please remember make it as plesant as possible. You can even teach by playing. Two seconds of your baby’s attention is all you need.
Good luck!