Backward rolls??

A discusion on one of the other topics got me thinking. For those of you doing the physical program have you been able to successfully teach your child to do backward rolls? If so please share your method. My son is a forward rolling pro, but backwards? I just don’t get how to teach it. Thanks in advace for any ideas.

Hmm… I used to teach martial arts to kids 3-6 (and older ones too, but the little ones were my favorite because they were SO bright and could learn anything… parents were always amazed), and we taught them to do a version of a backward roll in which we’d have them sit down, then lean back while kicking their feet over one shoulder. Not straight over the head, mind you, as this might hurt their neck- particularly while learning. We’d also “spot” them and guide them with our hands, helping to make sure they didn’t go to fast or at an angle that might cause injury to their backs, necks, etc. With enough momentum, they were all able to do great back rolls. Once they learned how to do so from the sitting position and got reliably good at it, then we encouraged them to start from standing up- which is actually easier because they get more speed going, but we don’t recommend that to start with because you don’t want them going to quickly while doing it incorrectly- again, we want to keep them safe. One other important point we taught them was to tuck their chin to their chest, keeping it close, snug, and touching the whole time they roll.

(Oh how I miss teaching the kids! It was so much fun and I was always so proud of them!) :yes:

Thanks, I will try this. That was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Karma for your help.

I’m glad I could help. :slight_smile:

Keep in mind that backward rolls can be a lot tougher to learn than forward. They can also be discouraging if they can’t get it right. Sometimes it’s just not as fun as forward… so we always tried to keep practice light-hearted and encouraging, as well as brief. If the kids went a bit too much sideways, we didn’t worry much about that- it happens like that, especially in the beginning. We just kept working on it and as they got more repetition and practice, things went more smoothly. Oh, and please do be careful about doing it from standing, because the kids can get a bit too excited and go too quickly before they are ready. This is a tough one- but it’s rewarding when they get it. Stay safe and good luck!