Baby Stopped Reading?

Hello everyone!

GiaBaby is at 18-19 months old now. Initially we started with YBCR at about 5 months and Little Reader at about 9 months. We’ve stopped YBCR a few months ago and are currently on lesson 218 with Little Reader (and that was after restarting the whole program after about lesson 50). GiaBaby up until about a month ago was reading/identifying well over a hundred words. Some words she actually “says” Baby, Dog, Elephant, etc… others she points to via flash cards. 10 - 15 - 20 flash cards in a row correctly. Frankly, incredible stuff.

But… a little over a month ago we got her these magnetic letters that go on the refrigerator with a base that when each individual letter is pressed into the base it says the letter and it’s sound (Similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Fridge-Phonics-Magnetic-Alphabet/dp/B000096QNK). In less than a month GiaBaby has learned all the letters by herself simply by playing with this educational toy. One would think that this a a fantastic thing and I suppose that it is that a 18 month old knows all of her alphabet. The odd thing is that ever since she has started with the letters she doesn’t seem to want/or be able to read any more. If I show her the very simple word like DOG, she won’t say the word, she seems to ignore it or at best say “D” as in only identifying the first letter and no longer the word. I hope this is phase, but it seems like she’s taken 5 steps backwards.

Any one else have any insight?

GiaBaby

P.S.- She has also watched about 20 episodes of the PBS Super WHY! Super Readers show. She actually really loves it. It all seems to reinforce everything that she has learned via YBCR and Brillkids. Though the problem of “not reading anymore” still remains.

Perhaps she is just going through the stage, where she does not want to show, it happens with babies :yes: So I would not be worried

Or she might be so fascinated with the letters, and so that it is all she wants to do :smiley:

I would only be concerned if that happened after vaccination, but if that is not the case, I think you have an incredibly smart brilliant baby who is experimenting with new things :slight_smile: Well done!

Sounds to me like she is fascinated by learning something new. My advice would be to start doing reading bear. Or any other phonics reading program. At the same time continue to show her NEW words.
It might also be a good idea to add in some encyclopaedic knowledge or math to keep her brain busy, since clearly she is a focused child.
I wouldn’t be concerned about her not showing you the reading anymore. Kids don’t crawl much once they learn how to walk :smiley:

My objective side tells me that it is exactly that, a stage, but the parent in me can’t help but to wonder why the change! (rebellion!? lol) Luckily vaccination can be ruled out, but that is a whole other topic. We still figure that at worst case scenario she has been entertained by all these early reading tools, best case, she continues to progress. It is an amazing process. :slight_smile: Thanks!

I’ll look into reading bear. Encyclopaedic knowledge I know not where to turn for that, recommendation? As for the Math, we need to start her back up on Little Math. For some unknown reason we stopped it around lesson 50 several months ago. I hope it’s not to “late”.

Funny thing is that she was a late walker and only in the last month has she truly gotten her sea legs. Come think of it… she hasn’t crawled since!? nice analogy :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Grab a Glenn Doman encyclopaedic knowledge book from the library and then implement it any way you think will work with your life. For my kids I usually just read lots of simple non fiction books. Adding in interesting bits of information here and there. To make proper cards old calendars are great!
The general idea is make a 30 by 30 cm card with a clear picture on one side and 10 interesting facts on the back. You show the card and read one of the facts. Then show the next card and read another fact. Next time through you read the 2nd fact until you cover it all.
To get an idea of what the cards can look like got to the gentle revolution store and check em out.
Judging solely by the fact your child liked the alphabet magnets so much I thing you may as well teach numeral recognition. Get some foam numbers to play with in the bath and teach her to count and recognise her numbers.
We stopped little math at around day 65 and I can say although my son was older (4) he still got a lot out of the program. He has a great understanding of number quantities and finds math easy now.

This is all very good advice, thank you! I will look into it all and likely implement it to the daily routine… :slight_smile: