Baby Signing Time

Yay! We received our order of Baby Signing Time DVD’s in the post this week and they are AMAZING! I am so happy with the quality and content of these DVD’s and they are so engaging for BC. He loves to see the other babies on the screen! I would highly recommend them for anyone looking for a product to help teach ASL to their children.

These were one of the first “educational” baby dvd’s we used and we were spoiled by the excellent production quality!! great stuff.

They were one of our favorites too.

We LOVED them as well.
After my daughter turned 1 we slowly graduated to Signing Time.
It is faster paced the BST and has more words per DVD.

Thanks ladies, appreciate the signing time recommendations too! I guesss we’ll see how BC goes with learning from the BST DVD’s and if he does pick it up and it is helping our communication then we may well gradute to signing time. I’m really looking forward to this journey and can’t wait to see our first sign from BC! I think he might be getting it (maybe!?) as when I sign milk to him, he makes the same ‘snake-like’ movement with his mouth and tongue that he does when he is telling you he’s hungry so maybe he is saying ‘yes mum, I’m hungry’!?

Hi, has anyone tried the program from Baby Signs ? Am not to sure if the Signing Time or Baby Signs program is better.

Appreciate your sharing. Thanks!

Hi all,

Just wanted to update everyone about BC’s progress with BST. He is now 14 months old and understands too many signs to count! He signs milk, more, eat, car, plane, bird, finished and hot. We are so proud of him! He says mum and dad and is very vocal so I’m sure there are lots more words on there way any day now but the signs are fantastic to help him communicate with us in the mean time! To see him signing ‘finished’ when we’re feeding him instead of just throwing a tantrum as he’s full and we haven’t realised it, well that is just amazing!

Lisa

In my opinion, Baby Signing Time, hands down! We love it and after trying and comparing, we got the whole deluxe series of BST and never regretted it! Its fun, educational, lots of music, lots of signs, great presentation, and they also learning to read the words along the way.

Thanks for the sharing from Skylard & Aussie MomofOne.

My girl loves Baby Signing Time and Signing Time, and we love them too. And to share our wonderful signing experience with others I have became one of the certified instructor of Signing Time Academy start teaching classes in Johor, Malaysia :).

I hope more families especially young children can benefit from it.

Baby Signing Time and Signing Time is definitely the best, hands down! (I also became an instructor with the Signing Time Academy because I love and believe in it so much!) You can also get some great info about signing with your baby on line at the Baby Sign Language Academy. The site has a wonderful interactive baby sign language dictionary, too, so you can easily look up other words your baby might be interested in.

We have all of the Baby Signing Times, 4-12 Signing Times Series 1 and all of Series 2. My dd will be three in 3 months and knows about 300 signs. She has Down syndrome and signing is still her primary form of communication. She reads by signing the word. She prefers Baby Signing Times and Series 1.

we have the whole set of signing time, including baby signing time, the flash cards, books … all of it … and love it! i can’t rave about it enough. as to baby signs - if it’s the one i’m thinking about, they advocate altering a few signs so that babies can sign them more easily. personally, i don’t change complicated words into made up, simplified words when i speak to my children - they just adapt - so why would i do that with signs. before we bought the set from signing time, we would rent them from the library until we had the money/opportunity to buy the sets at a discount. even if your local library doesn’t have them (at least where i live) they will do an interlibrary loan, which means they request it from another library, possibly even in another state if necessary. hope that helps!

that reminds me, these are also great once they’re a little older (and again, these we get them from our library, but what’s great is that they are popular stories signed by deaf people with voice over):
Read With Me: Volume 1 DVD
Sharing the Joy of Storytelling with Your Deaf Toddler
Reading stories to you deaf children can be challenging. How do you make the… $15.95
Read With Me: Volume 2 DVD
Stories for Your Deaf Preschooler
Now that you can easily sign stories, start with the two stories in this DVD.

In Where the Wild… $15.95
Read With Me: Volume 3 DVD
Stories for Your Deaf Child
The entire family will enjoy these stories signed in ASL and narrated in English.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas… $15.95
Read With Me: Volume 4 DVD
The Mitten: A Ukrainian Folktale by Jan Brett is a funny story about Nicki’s lost mitten. One by… $15.95
Read With Me: Volume 5 DVD
Marcus Pfister’s best-selling story The Rainbow Fish is an Abby Award winner. It tells the tale about the… $15.95
Read With Me: Volume 6 DVD
Volume VI’s, If I Ran the Zoo is unmistakably Dr. Seuss. One of the world’s favorite storytellers, Dr… $15.95
Read With Me: Volume 7 DVD
Have fun watching the three stories on this DVD, signed in ASL and narrated in English.

The Very Busy… $15.95
Read With Me: Volume 8 DVD
Volume VIII’s Elizabeth & Larry by Marilyn Sadler is a tender tale about two best friends, an old… $15.95
Read With Me: Volume 9 DVD
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie is a delightful tale by Laura Joffe Numeroff that tells what… $15.95
Read With Me: Volume 10 DVD
The Mixed-Up Chameleon by Eric Carle is a magical story about a chameleon who was not satisfied just… $15.95
Read With Me: Volume 11 - C is for Curious DVD
Internationally-known American Sign Language storyteller Peter Cook explores Woodleigh Hubbard’s “C” is for Curious, where leaping cows, egotistical…

Queriquita- thanks for such a comprehensive list…we LOVE Signing Time in our house and sign even when we talk…we actually had to find a babysitter from the local University because A would get extremely frustrated if someone couldn’t understand her…
For some reason it never occurred to me that there would be a whole library of books on DVD using ASL! Thinking back, I feel a bit silly and should have realized! Our local library has a huge selection, and A jumped up and down when she saw ‘The Very Busy Spider’ being read aloud and SIGNED!

@kerileanne - so glad you were able to find something new that she loves! :slight_smile: hope to meet some day and get the kiddos together.