Baby reading

I’ve noticed that my 18 months old can read few words…so far he has read at least 5-6 words consistently. I feel he is starting to read but he is no longer interested in the YBCR books. As soon as I open the YBCR books, he runs away…may be he is bored with it…sometimes he opens the book on his own and read the word…most of the times he’ll read only if he feels like…I try to do LR and LM daily with him but he has never read the word from LR…may be it’s too fast for him…how shall I go about teaching more words? How do I know if he can read enough words to start with couplets?

Hi Nams!

My baby also started out with YBCR. When she mastered all the words in the DVDs, I looked for more ways online to expand my child’s vocabulary and on how to teach my child how to read couplets and sentences and it was great that I stumbled upon this great forum! With the response I got from TeachingMyToddlers, NadiaD, Mandabplus3 and Krista G, my questions are all answered! Thanks to them! I decided to purchase Little Reader mid of February of this year.

Since my baby is already familiar with most of the words in Lessons 1-25 (where most of the words are also in YBCR) I decided to create a New Folder (under Categories TAB of Advance Play/Edit TAB) for my baby’s weekly lesson and introduce new words to her (every week) from Little Reader. I decided to feed her more new words and didn’t even bother to ask her what those words are. I also showed her SIMPLE SENTENCES (under Categories TAB of Advance Play/Edit TAB) on the second week of using LR as well as 3-5 couplets. I noticed that my baby also didn’t say a word after 3 weeks of use of LR (which I also didn’t bother to ask my DD to say each word ) but she’s attentively watching and listening to the Lessons. I just then started to point out each word with my finger and say each word (after each word is played). I think this works for my baby because after about a week of me pointing and saying the words, when I asked her what that certain word is… Alas! I didn’t know that she already can say those new words/couplets! =) Maybe you could also try pointing to the words with your fingers and saying out the words after each word is played. You could also adjust the Auto Fwd delay if you find it too fast or choose to disable it and just press Enter key after each word. Some children also just show or say those new words whenever they are ready. Just make learning fun and enjoyable to both of you. Your child might say those new words whenever you least expect them to. Btw, I also played the courses arranged by Brillkids…
for my child to refresh the old words she already learned. I think Word Flash is good in stimulating the right brain of the child.

I also would like to give huge thanks to Brillkids and to all the very supportive parents in this forum. After more than a month of using LR, my DD can read couplets and is now getting better in reading sentences. I also would like to share the video of my baby reading couplets and sentences. This video was taken after 2 months and 2 weeks from the date that I purchased LR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6I0-54CWSA

Oh thank you! What kind words.
My son was watching Megan reading and was just so into it! At one point he yelled out “I know that one! It’s Moo” lol I didn’t know he knew that word! Nice surprise. I think your daughter is wonderful, and I LOVE her clothes too.
On top of the advice given about using LR and just trusting that she is learning ( at lightning speed!) if you want to focus on a few specific words, print out a few flash cards, maybe 6-10 at a time and show them until she knows them. At the same time as showing LR, it’s a balanced left and right brain approach. Also its time to work on phonics and use the words she knows already to make interesting sentences. " the elephant sat on the monkey" is an absolute favourite here! lol
Just keep going and trust she is learning :slight_smile:

Thanks both of you. The ‘Auto Forward Delay’ feature in LR sound interesting. I’ll definitely try that. I try to balance the Left and Right brain stimulation since I show him 5-10 printed flashcards daily at a slow rate.

I was planning to introduce a new game where I first scribble few drawings and then in between the drawings, I write one word and see if my baby can read it. e.g. I draw a ballon first, then a flower and then write the word ball. My baby can read the word ball in YBCR book, then he ideally should be able to read it even when I scribble. Initially I’ll try only 2 words everyday. May be this is also a way of introducing new words as part of the left brain training.

I love the video of Megan. She is absolutely precious. I enjoyed watching her point at the words. It seems that she does it because she is mimicking your behavior, not because she needs to. So cute!! Thanks for sharing your video. It is always so nice to watch babies being amazing. As many as we see here, amazing in the new normal. :slight_smile:

Hi Nams,

Congratulations to you and your son! Reading even 1 word at the age of 18 months is remarkable!!! :biggrin: You are doing an amazing job. Keep up the great work and have fun bonding with your son.
Is it possible that your son’s verbal skills have not yet matched up with his knowledge? Before my son could speak he would act the words out. Maybe try showing your son some action words and act them out after you read the word. You can customize a LR lesson to match the words you are flashing.
From what I have learned about right brained learning is that it is not always best to test your child’s knowledge. I think it is because if they get the answer wrong it can discourage them in the future. But I was always curious and with some helpful insight from this forum I found out that it is better to do it as a multiple choice similar to the YBCR dvds.

My son began reading phonetically before he was speaking in couplets. I would show him extra phonics from the categories section in LR. I introduced my son to the MonkiSee MonkiDo dvds by Krista G and he still loves watching them even though he knows all the words. My very first internet search on early learning showed me that many parents agreed that their children liked MonkiSee MonkiDo alot more than YBCR. I got him YBCR but his love for words has him enjoying their products. I believe his love for words comes from watching the Readeez dvds. There are coupons available for the downloadable versions with your loyalty points from this forum.

Brillkids has alot of storybooks and aesop fables available and my son loves them all. Here is a video of me trying to record him singing 10 monkeys jumping on the bed until he saw his BrillKids books! He even drops a cell phone for the book!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5txRHu9wBU

Wow! Mela!! Cayden is reading so well!! He has improved a lot since the last video I watched. You must be thrilled. Isn’t it so exciting to see them love books so much? You are doing a wonderful thing for your boy. I just love watching him. Keep it up! Just fantastic. :slight_smile:

congratulations!!! is so inspiring …
my son is 8 month old, and i wool like to start teaching him to read. which programs would you recommend to start with? does any one knows if is possible to get the programs in spanish? thank you!!!

There is a program called Kids Start Spanish. It is similar to Your Baby Can Read. My kids love it. It includes DVDs, flash cards, a book and some games. Everything is very nice quality. I will be posting some videos soon of my kids using it. I am very happy that in a few not extremely consistent weeks of using it my kids are reading a lot of words in Spanish.

The website is http://www.kidstartspanish.com/

Thank you Krista, I will check it out. I would like my baby to learn read in Spanish because is my first language ;).

Krista, i checked the link, but they do not ship to sweden :(.

That is a bummer. I have helped other members out on this forum by shipping stuff to them. If it is an option you are interested in, send me a PM. I can let you know the cost to ship the package and you can reimburse me through PayPal. Have you also checked to see if you can find Your Baby Can Read in Spanish? Maybe Amazon.uk has it.

Hi Manda. It’s really a great feeling whenever the kids surprise us with the things we don’t know they already know. Thank you so much for the compliment on my daughter and Karma to you for being one of the most supportive parents in this forum!

Hi Krista. Thank you so much for the kind words. Yup! she loves mimicking my behavior and I have to wipe my monitor often. But a few days ago, I asked her not to touch the screen and now she’s just doing it in the air. lol
Btw, Karma to you!

Hi Mela. I enjoyed watching Cayden’s video. Congrats and great job Cayden & mommy! He’s such a cutie with a beautiful smiling face.

Thank you Mary, I get as much out of this forum as I give…maybe more :wink:
It’s a great place to be. I am constantly inspired, amazed, occasionally frustrated, regularly laugh out loud, always learning, encouraged to think, and some days my heart just melts watching these beautiful videos of little kids and what they really can do. It’s the mums and dads here that make it so special. So thank you for sharing.

I know on the market now have a point of time It can be audible, can help children learn

Hi all,

Need help!
Im just starting teaching my 9 months old baby boy to read using flashcards.
But he does not pay attention to the cards, how to catch his attention for at least 5 cards per session? He is busy with the toys and things around him. And he is putting everthing in his mouth, since its about time his tooth to come out.

Any suggestion where and when is the best time n place to show the cards?
Looking forward for some tips n tricks to make it successfull.

It needs to be during a period where there are no other distractions. It is often good to do this first thing in the morning, after they are fed. You can show cards while your baby is in the bath, in the highchair or in a bouncer seat. Show the cards as quickly as you can and perhaps you should give your baby a toy to hold and put in his mouth while you show the cards. That way his hands and mouth will be occupied. Some babies won’t view 5 cards. If your baby is one of these, you can show one or two at a time. You can stick the words to the fridge and walk over with your baby in your arms and point to the words as you say them. Find a time when you baby is more relaxed and preferable contained. It should make it easier.

We often show flashcards (or, more often, flashcard apps) to baby first thing in the morning, while still in bed. Baby E. also usually sits still with Papa to look at Reading Bear in late afternoon. That could be our idiosyncratic habit, though.

Mamjo - during a nursing session worked really well for us… Of course, if you’re using physical flashcards, it can get a bit fiddly.

Hi ShenLi, DadDude, Krista,

Thanks so much for the help.
I’ll try and see how he responds.

Have a great weekend!!