Baby not interested in flash cards

Hi

My son is 9 months old. I started showing him word flash cards from 3 months till 6 months - he would be v happy looking at them. After a break, I have again started showing him the cards. He showed interest for 2 weeks but now he just wont look even for a few seconds. He’s trying to get away from his chair or tries grabbing the flash cards or looks away. What can I do to get him regain his interest?

Take another break from the cards. Or cut the sets down to just one word per set. If he is very active, you could make a game out of the cards by laying out the cards from a set in a line down the hallway and have him crawl across them. As he does so you say each word. Or try playing peek-a-boo behind a chair and hold a card in front of your face every other time you “peek” out. Put one card on the wall where he gets his diaper changed. Mention the word casually every time he’s there. Get creative. Either make it fun or don’t do it at all.

He may be in the stage where his mind is completely focussed on physical mastery of some skill (i.e., walking). Some kids lose interest in word cards during this phase. But they grow out of their disinterest - as long as you haven’t pushed to learn word cards.

Try using customized content with his favorite toys & people. Also, you can show cards during meal/snack time or during the bath. Taking another break is a good idea too.