Babies' size

How can I know what is the normal height and weight for a six months baby?

Thanks in advance

According to the book that I use for reference
for 6 month old
boy
average weight is 8-8.75 kilograms / 17.5-19.5 pounds
height 66-70 cm

girl
average weight is 7.25-8.5 kilograms / 16- 18.5 pounds
height 64-69 cm

Hope this helps!

Don’t you take him to the doctor? The doctor should tell you what’s normal and where your baby rates. If not, then ask! That’s why they measure babies.

Thanks a lot for the info NadiaD. Could you give me the title of the book?

Hi Nhockaday. We have just taken him to the doctor a couple of weeks ago, but he only told us that he was a little big for his age.
Our baby was born on his expected date with a weight of 3.50 kilograms and now with six months was 9.85 kilograms. According with the info given by Nadia I think that perhaps is too much. Anyway the doctor said that both weight (9.85 kgs.) and weight (73 cms) were very good but i´m looking for a second opinion.

I would ask for his percentages next time. They always tell me at the doctor.

Thanks a lot for your help nhockaday

The World Health Organization has growth charts as well. (Boys percentiles [pdf 10.57Mb] ) So you can look up his percentiles yourself. If I’m not mistaken he’s around 97th percentile for weight and 95th percentile for height. Which is healthy, he’s just a big boy. Mine is 72cm and 8.86 kilos. :slight_smile:

Your son is fine so don’t worry. Adults come in different sizes and so do babies. The best charts to use are the WHO charts that carpe vestri vita linked to. The most important thing is that height and weight percentiles are not too far apart and that neither are too far below the norm. Your son’s weight and height are both close in percentiles so he is growing as he should. If he was in the 50th percentile for weight and 95th for height it would be concerning because there shouldn’t be such a disparity.

I am glad the info helped :slight_smile:
I am using book
“Baby 411” by Denise Fields and Ari Brown for references,
I really recommend it for the first time parents.
It gives you a lot of useful info about health, sleep and nutrition for your baby’s first year.
The charts they use you can find at www.cdc.gov/growthcharts.
I do agree with the rest of the replies that you do not need worry about some extra weight,
once your son will become mobile his weight will come closer to guidelines.

I am very grateful for your help. I have downloaded the chart and I guess that the term “percentile” refers to a percentage compared with other children of the same age.

My worry was mainly due to the weight issue but now I see that it is proportional to his height (though neither my wife nor I are tall)

So I will not worry more until the next visit to the doctor.

Thank you very much again. :slight_smile:

i wouldnt really worry about where he is on the growth charts, as long as he is meeting milestones and seems healthy and happy. Charts can be misleading if your child is breastfed. Most charts are besed on formula fed babies, who gain weight faster than breastfed babies.

I’m glad we could help reassure you Saunier :slight_smile:

That’s true heyblue41 which is why the WHO chart is the one you should refer to as it is based on breastfed babies.

In Australia the old charts based on formula fed babies have been discontinued after a lot of lobbying by the Australian Breastfeeding Association and the WHO charts are now used instead. The older charts were showing breastfed babies to be lower weight than recommended and health professionals would advise mothers to top up with formula because their breast milk was insufficient which was wrong.

The doctor would definitely tell you if the baby was too large because that would put his health at risk. As long as you are feeding him healthy (which includes NO cow milk, sugar, meat, etc.) and communicating your concerns with the doctor then he should be fine.

If breastfeeding remember he is drinking what the mother puts into her body. If you are not feeding him every 3 hours or so then his body may be storing more fat for the missed meals as well.

Until his six months our son was breastedfed and we also feed with formula following the doctor´s advice and because my wife haven´t got enough for the baby during the first months. Only when he was six months old we have been progressively introducing other foods, and never cow milk, sugar and meet, so we have been very carefully thast his feeding was always healthy.

And of course my wife always have been caring a lot her own feeding during pregnancy and breastfeed too

carpe vestri vita,
I could not get the WHO pdf, sm i doing something wrong?

2010BEBES: try this link www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/chts_boys_p.pdf for some reason the url is adding “http://” twice.

Thank you very much , I have it now.