Autism

Recently, I have been reading topics for Autism. Also I have done some research in the web about screening Autism. As a mom, I am now in the point that I worry if my baby have autism. I think thats my greatest fear as a mom. My child seems normal, I think. I am just paranoid. But according to what I learned, autistic child have a very normal appearance and that it even achieve the normal milestone for a baby. Autism is a very sensitive issues for parents, but I wonder if anyone here can let me know if a 6 months baby can be screen for autism. I saw in the videos here that screening begins at 1 year old.

Right now, my son looks me in the eyes for a quite long period of time and keeps on laughing and smiling at me. He doesn’t point at object yet or response when his name is called. Is that seem normal for his age? If someone here have more understanding in this topic, I would appreciate the reply. Thank you!

He sounds normal for a child of his age to me. I would just make sure that his hearing screening has been done and continue all the early learning stuff. The treatment for autism in young children is early intervention if you are doing early learning with your child there is probably not much else you could do as treatment at this time. But, as I said your child sounds perfectly normal to me.

I would definetly second lindzy on that. Just do infant activities and stimulation, change activities, etc. But what he does seem normal to me as well, also remember different children have different characters.

Autizm connected to vaccinations in a few studies, so this is something to keep in mind… If you have not vaccinated, there are hardly any records on autizm among non-vaccinated children, who were not given any medications from birth. If you did vaccinate or had some meds, it is good to check if there were any sudden changes in his behaviour after the vaccination or after the medication was given.

However if hsi character was always like that, I would not worry much at this point and will just do activities with him, show lots of love, interaction, and enjoy him! He probably just loves his mommy so much that he is happy to look at you and laugh! :biggrin: :slight_smile: