At what age?

Can you start to tell that your kid is gifted/advance/interested in a particular area?

My DD is almost 22 months and I can’t tell what she is interested in and that somehow frustrates me a little as I don’t know what activity we should be doing to bring out the most of her. Aside being active, she is very average in all areas.

I think you still have time to find out what’s she’s interested in.

For what it’s worth, my area of high interest was parenting. And I never found my niche until I became a parent.

I think if you keep exposing her to a wide variety of experiences, she’s more likely to find something she’s highly interested in.

My son was easy to figure out his high interest area. A few hours after birth, he picked his head up to look towards the sound of his father from the other side of the room. At the time, we didn’t realize that was unusual, but our midwives (who had been practicing for over 30 years) had never seen that. Early on, and definitely by 1 he had a strong preference for music and instruments. We started violin at 3, and while he had talent in music and pitch, he was just not interested in that instrument, so we stopped. We are still floundering around trying to figure out how to help him develop his gifts.

My dd (18 months) may be highly interested in animals and art and definitely has more developed fine motor skills (though, perhaps I’m just comparing normal variations between genders), but more time will tell. Her thing(s) aren’t as obvious as my son’s.

Either way, its still hard trying to nurture it!

I do think the key is exposure to a variety of experiences to see what attracts her.