Ask for Parents not Chinese Basic. Using Chinese Cirriculum LR.

I try to find out some parents who haven’t any basic in Chinese. I think, you are here. But I can’t search for these. Sorry if there is any discussions about these. Please help me to see link to those forum topics too.
I have just try to use trial curriculum of chinese FOR 3rd Language. I would like to purchase chinese LR. But I’m would like to hear sharing idea OUR SUCCESSFUL PARENT and KIDS who use Chinese little reader. .
What is your trick? When will WE SHOULD start AFTER ENGLISH? I read someone say after finish 2 semester of english. But I have no time to wait for.
I have some basic in english so I can use LR and pursuate my kid to speak out english.
Do you think we should use only repeat after chinease words that we can catch the words?
For example: English says “Dog” and then shows picture. I will encourage kid to speak english “dog " by try to accent same as LR sound.
In the picture may say " Do you like dog?” I will repeat." Do you like dog?" like these.
But in chinese: “Gou” (sorry I can’t remember the true accent) My kid doesn’t show attention. Next is picture -->kid look at picture of dog.
After that “>.>>>>>>>>>…” I can’t catch the words for speak out.My kid is low attention when I dose not join with sentence.
How can I do this. Thank you.
:frowning:

I speak about ten words of Chinese and have just learned to count 1-10 because my son wants me to :wub:

Chinese is also our third language. We are on day 25-ish of LR Chinese and 20 of LR English, even though I started English first :ohmy: This is because my son demands Chinese first and will sometimes refuse an English lesson after that. Often we only manage one lesson a day, so we have actually been using the Chinese curriculum for about 2 months.

I struggle, because I want to interact with my son in Chinese, but just can’t. I make a go of pronouncing the words if I think I can do so with some accuracy (if I don’t catch the sound properly, I don’t try - there is no point encouraging him to repeat words badly!) but am otherwise silent. My son seems to love Chinese for its complete difference from English and Russian. With body parts, I would tickle or kiss the named part, with actions, I help him do them if possible, or do them to him (like blow). With animals, I made animal sounds. Sometimes there really isn’t much I can say or do, so I just cuddle him and watch the lesson. Unfortunately, I think the only way for you to have conversations with your child during Chinese LR is to learn Chinese yourself! Or get a Chinese teacher who will sit and do it with them!

I don’t expect this method will teach him Chinese fluently, but he does say some words. He names dogs and cats, has just started counting 1-2-3 and probably knows a lot more than he lets on! As a vocabulary-building and accent-forming tool, it is fantastic - I will never master Chinese pronunciation, but I expect my son will manage fairly well. I am going to learn Chinese together with him and have ordered some books that we can read together to start forming sentences and conversations together.

If you want your child to be exposed to Chinese, learn some words and simple sentence and, most importantly, your child is enjoying the Chinese trial material, go for it. I don’t regret it for one second! But if your child isn’t interested now, don’t waste your money. There is no point buying a program they don’t want to watch! Try again in a few months - children change their minds quite often and you may find that in a couple of months they are more interested in watching Chinese without you needing to hold a conversation.

Check out youtube for Wink to Learn and Little Pim in Chinese - Pim is a lot more interactive and my son loves him, and Wink to Learn is flashcard-based with songs or music at the end of each lesson, another favourite in our house.

We started Chinese 3 month ago,as our 4th language, with Chinese LR. And I didn’t hear Chinese before that:) Now my daughter say some words in Chinese ( which I can clearly identify, I suppose she speaks more, bu t my memory…) And she can easily show all parts of body which we studied with LR. She showed it unexpeectedly on Sunday morning in the bed at 6 o’clock, pointing at father’s nose and name it as" be" When I realized what she said - I asked to show all what could remember at that time:)

Today she read pao-pao, and phin-tu (jiwsaw puzzle).

My experience is the same as MummyRoo’s, I interact in the same way.

We started Chinese 3 month later as English LR, but she prefers Chinese and we are now on the same lessons :biggrin: , and I’m sure we will finish CHinese LR earlier (what then?)

I have to agree with MummyRoo - you need to learn some Chinese and to speak it if you want your child to be interested in Little Chinese, otherwise it is an uphill battle.

I started Little Chinese at the same time I started Little Reader with my younger son and I find that he responds more to Little Reader because I speak English. I haven’t heard him try to speak any chinese at all because I cannot and do not speak any chinese. Initially, he used to pay attention to both, but now I find that when I turn on Little Chinese, he switches off and climbs off my lap, but with Little Reader he pays attention. He is 21 months.

On the flip side, my older son, who is now 4.5 years (with whom I never did any Chinese with) is now interested to learn and sits with me to listen to LC lessons so perhaps all is not lost.

One way you can interact with no Chinese would be to use sign language - this would be a great way to tie languages together. I had planned to do this myself, but haven’t had the time to learn the signs. If you are planning on doing baby signing anyway, this would be great :smiley:

Thank you for everybody to sharing opinions …
Last month I start to using panda-teach chinese dvd for me. Now my chinese is a bit growth. That is very slowly because I can’t remember sound of chinese. Oh… it’s too hard to do. :confused: Ok. I try to do right now for my kid.
Someone said Little pim is good. I will look for that DVD for learning before use it with my kid too.
MommyRoo: What’s the meaning of these>>
“One way you can interact with no Chinese would be to use sign language” >>> for teaching chinese. Explain this for me please…

LemonEarth.

If you are doing sign language then you can sign the word to your child when they hear it in chinese, so you interact without having to speak Chinese . :slight_smile:

Hello (P Eat)
I also use baby sign for my son to connect between two laguages. And it works!
Jib