Article: Moms Talk their Infants/Toddlers into Being Gifted (my recap)

… lol cracks me up that to make things credible, they have to be proven by science first …

here’s an abstract i came across just now that gives credence to what we do with our kids. in short, they found that parents guide their children’s intellect from infancy/toddlerhood and low & behold, those who do it a certain way, actually produce kindergartners with higher iq’s than the norm. thought i’d share :slight_smile:

Accession No: EJ918898
Author(s): Morrissey, Anne-Marie
Title: Maternal Scaffolding of Analogy and Metacognition in the Early Pretence of Gifted Children
Source: Exceptional Children v77 n3 p351-366 Spr 2011 (16 pages)
Additional Info: Council for Exceptional Children. 1110 North Glebe Road Suite 300, Arlington, VA 22201. Tel: 888-232-7733; Fax: 703-264-9494; e-mail: cecpubs@cec.sped.org; Web site: http://www.cec.sped.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Publications1; http://www.cec.sped.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Publications2/ExceptionalChildren/default.htm
Standard No: ISSN: 0014-4029
Language: English
Abstract: This study investigated whether mothers of children assessed as having gifted/high IQ at 5 years were more likely to scaffold their children in analogical and metacognitive thinking during the infant/toddler period than mothers of children with more typical IQs. The researcher videotaped 21 children in monthly play sessions with their mothers, from the time that the children were 8 months old until they were 17 months old, and coded the mothers’ verbalizations for scaffolding of analogical and metacognitive thinking. A psychologist assessed these children on the Stanford-Binet IV (Thorndike, 1986) and found ability levels ranging from average to high. Analysis showed that mothers of the children with high IQs introduced analogical and metacognitive scaffolding earlier than mothers of children with average IQs. The findings are consistent with a bidirectional model of gifted development in which mothers respond to support advanced development from infancy. (Contains 2 tables.)
References: Number: 84
Peer Reviewed: Yes
SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Gifted
Mothers
Young Children
Metacognition
Logical Thinking
Thinking Skills
Cognitive Processes
Infants
Toddlers
Intelligence Quotient
Video Technology
Play
Verbal Communication
Parent Child Relationship
Cognitive Ability
Comparative Analysis
Child Development
Parent Role
Longitudinal Studies
Identifier: Stanford Binet Intelligence Scale
Document Type: Article (EJ)
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Research
Date of Entry: 2011; APR2011
Database: ERIC

Here’s another along the same lines. You know, the thing is that these seem to be the only two! No wonder the rest of the world is taking it’s time to catch on :wink: We need more pudding so we can find more proof.

EJ832598

Author(s): Morrissey, Anne-Marie ; Brown, P. Margaret
Title: Mother and Toddler Activity in the Zone of Proximal Development for Pretend Play as a Predictor of Higher Child IQ
Source: Gifted Child Quarterly v53 n2 p106-120 2009 (15 pages)
Additional Info: SAGE Publications. 2455 Teller Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320. Tel: 800-818-7243; Tel: 805-499-9774; Fax: 800-583-2665; e-mail: journals@sagepub.com; Web site: http://sagepub.com; http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0016986208330563
Standard No: ISSN: 0016-9862
Language: English
Abstract: This study investigated the pretend play of mother-toddler dyads in relation to later child IQ. Twenty-one toddlers were videotaped in monthly play sessions with their mothers, from age 8 to 17 months, and later assessed at 5 years of age on the Stanford-Binet IV. Children’s and mothers’ pretend play levels and frequencies were measured using Brown’s (1997) Pretend Play Observation Scale. Dyadic play activity was analyzed using the conceptual frameworks of scaffolding and Vygotsky’s “Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD).” Toddlers later assessed as having higher IQ demonstrated more rapid learning in the ZPD for pretend play and experienced earlier maternal transfer of responsibility for play. These findings support other evidence on the differential early development of high ability or gifted children and the role of caregiver interactions in that development. (Contains 4 tables, 2 figures and 1 note.)
References: Number: 73
Peer Reviewed: Yes
SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Play
Gifted
Mothers
Toddlers
Intelligence Quotient
Predictor Variables
Incidence
Scaffolding (Teaching Technique)
Parent Child Relationship
Child Development
Caregiver Role
Investigations
Cognitive Measurement
Longitudinal Studies
Identifier: Stanford Binet Intelligence Scale
Note(s): Education Level: Early Childhood Education
Document Type: Article (EJ)
Publication Type: Journal Articles; Reports - Research
Date of Entry: 2009; APR2009
Database: ERIC

Thanks for sharing, queriquita. It confirms what several other authors (William Fowler, Michael Howe, Hart and Risley, Glenn Doman, Karen Quinn, etc) have said that YES, differences in parental interactions lead to differences in children’s abilities. Some parents do the right things accidentally, and their kids end up high-achieving or ‘gifted’. Others do it deliberately, and the kids end up high-achieving or ‘gifted’ too. According to Doman in his books ‘How to teach your baby to be physically superb’ and ‘How to multiply your baby’s intelligence’, it’s best to do the right things deliberately.

I remember a funny story I read in Karen Quinn’s (the testing mom - www.testingmom.com) book. The book is titled ‘Testing for Kindergarten’. In the book, she tells of this mum who was always talking to her son, explaining things, all the time. At that time Karen taught the mum was crazy. How could she be explaining colors of oranges to a child that was barely talking? Well, the boy ended up in Hunter Elementary (one of America’s best and most competitive Gifted and Talented programs). But Karen’s daughter could not get admission. That made Karen think that ‘well, maybe the mum had been doing the right thing by the child, by talking and explaining things a lot.’

In Karen’s book, Testing for Kindergarten’, she discusses 7 abilities kids need to test well in, in order to ace gifted program admission, public school placement, and private school admissions. Chapter 10 of the book is titled 'Conversing to Support 6 Abilites (The ‘Right’ and ‘Wrong’ way to Have a Conversation. This Chapter Alone Could be Worth 38 IQ points).’
In the chapter, she tells the full story, and here is an excerpt:

``The year Schuyler [Schuyler is Karen’s daughter] was born, a woman in my apartment had a son named Aaron. This woman was extremely weird, in my opinion. We call her Sandy because that was her name and I don’t live in the building anymore anyway.
Sandy used to have a loud, one-side running dialog with Aaron about everything and anything they encountered. They would be walking down the hall to go to their apartment and Sandy would say ‘We’re walking down the hall, Aaron. Now we are getting in the elevator’. The boy would squeak ‘Elevator’. 'What floor do we live on?, Sandy would ask. ‘Seven’, he’d say. ‘That’s right. Can you press the seven button?’ Aaron would press it. ‘Now we are going up. The doors are opening now.’ ‘Open’, a high voice would peep. They’d step out the elevator and I would hear ‘The doors are closing now. Let’s walk left to our apartment. Which way is left? What letter is our apartment…’

I think we can all agree that Sandy was obnoxious. Me, I was too polite to inflict my parenting dialogs on neighbours like that. Sure, I talked to Schuyler while we were at home or out and about, but I rarely engaged her in front of strangers. When I did, I always used my spa voice. That was partly because I felt silly carrying on with a toddler who could hardly keep up her end of the conversation.

From the time Aaron was born, I’d see them at the grocery store. Sandy would be pushing Aaron in the shopping cart, jabbering away about everything they encountered. ‘Aaron, what is the orange fruit I’m holding? It’s called an orange. Feel how rough and bumpy the skin. And these yellow bananas, are they fruits or vegetables? They’re fruits. We get our fruits and vegetables first and our frozen foods last because we don’t want the frozen foods to melt. What kind of cereal shall we buy today? Let’s not get Cocoa Puffs; they’re so full of sugar. Let’s get Cheerios. They’re made from whole grain and whole grain is healthy.’ She did this even before the kid could talk! Not only that, when all Aaron could do was babble, she’ll respond with a question or comment to every ‘ga ga’ or ‘goo goo’ that passed his lips. When she was pushing him in his stroller outside, she’ll point out letters in signs, colors of cars, relative sizes of people, breeds of dogs, makes of cars, types of flowers -there was no end to Sandy’s commentary. The woman was ridiculous. I did not invite her to be in my new mother’s group.

Imagine my surprise when, a few years later, Aaron got into Hunter College Elementary and Schyuler didn’t. As you may recall, that is the most prestigious gifted and talented program in Manhattan: getting in is like hitting the lottery’. QUOTE ENDS.

Karen then goes on to explain how to build the 6 abilities, and the right and wrong ways to converse with a child. She gives more details on how Sandy conversed with Aaron and how that built his abilities. The Sandy-Aaron story is very funny, but it goes to show that yes, there is something about parental interactions and attitudes that enable kids test out as ‘gifted’. William Fowler’s research has shown this too.

So yes, I agree with the title of your post - you can talk your infant/toddler into giftedness.

Thank you girls, it’s encouraging. No I know I should’ve talked more to DS1 and will not feel strange when wanting to talk to my kids about everything and anything in the public, though being so small. I like to describe them what they see, no matter the age, just didn’t have the guts to ignore what others might think about me doing it.

nee1, you made me read the whole chapter :)) http://testingforkindergarten.com/book/read-a-chapter

Thank you for this. It’s very interesting. I was also glad to read the chapter in the testing for kindergarden site - very interesting!

I’m curious as to how they measured “Scaffolding of Analogy and Metacognition”. I’m wondering what specific measures / markers they used to identify this. It would be interesting to know if there are any other key strategies that I’m missing in my communication with my children.

Girls, I bought the Kindle edition of Karen Quinn’s book - thanks nee1, you’re pretious too to this forum :wink: - and found it very interesting, even if I’m living in Romania and our kids are not tested like that. It practically teaches how to. It’s a great book for a good start in early learning, her attitude is moderate, balanced towards everything. It’s on the parents call if they do more of this or that. haven’t read the book entirely but I for one think that many parents on this forum do at least and more than suggested in her book.

And, so far, chapter 9 raised a question in me so I asked Hellene Hiner about it, as it’s her domain, not mine. Here’s the link to the subject if you want to follow it:
http://softmozart.com/forum/15-learning-experience/5887-bmc-basic-music-competence.html#5887
It’s about basic music competence (BMC), something I’ve never heard of or even thought about thoroughly.

What do you think about BMC and what the author is saying in her book?

:yes: I love this forum! There are so many dedicated and sharing parents!

Andrea

Oh, you guys always make me feel so at home hugs it’s like a little piece of heaven and harmony each time, even if I haven’t had much time these days to get on as much as I’d like :slight_smile: nee1, thank you so, so much for that reply! it was wonderful - exactly what i think i needed next! it was so interesting to read, too, because i remember thinking, ‘gee, sandy sounds like me with the kids’, but as i kept reading, and read through the other replies, i suddenly recalled that ‘silly’ feeling i had when joey was a non-talker! i had completely forgotten that!!! it seems so funny now, but yes, i distinctly recall, feeling almost stupid, even at home while talking to him. there i was, home alone, except for this non-talker staring at me. it took quite some time, but i’m so grateful i pushed through. so different with the 2nd and on, since you actually have a talker nearby to talk to! lol. so grateful to have recalled that. now, it should be easier to relate to others who feel the same and help them understand how important it is to overcome that. :slight_smile:

Queriquita, after reading that Sandy-Aaron story, I’ve been more like Sandy now lol (though I still use my spa voice) lol . I try to engage my kid in conversation as much as I can, I point out colors on toys in the clinic, I count quietly on the bus with my fingers, etc, etc. At home, I engage him even more. At least that is what Karen now recommends. She’s a now convert of engaging kids in conversation after seeing how Aaron turned out.

Oh, and if some people think I’m weird, I’m sure they’ll change their minds when my kid ends up at Oxford, just like Karen changed her mind when Aaron ended up at Hunter lol .

Did you read that entire chapter 10 of ‘Testing for Kindergarten’ in the link Andreasro pasted? (Thank you Andreasro). Here is the link again- http://testingforkindergarten.com/book/read-a-chapter. Scroll down the webpage, the entire chapter is there. You’ll read about the extra ways Sandy engaged Aaron and how that built his abilities, the right and wrong ways to have a conversation with a child, etc.

I saw one of these commercials a couple of years back. It was a mother in the laundromat, looking crazy talking to the “clothes”.

As I a nanny I got the commercial immediately. Talking like that does become a very natural exhange between you and a child. I never once thought about how crazy it might have made me look. The children and I were in our little bubble of communication.

10 years of interacting with children in that manner makes it a second nature to me. But I don’t do it all the time. I switch it on and off. If I need James to get down to business, get into the bath, get ready for bed I make short concise Requests or commands, depending in his attentive level. He then snaps out of play mode and does what needs to be done. But when we are out on a leisurely walk, or at the grocery store the interaction is on full force.

http://youtu.be/XomEA2ChjeE

Ok. Here is the laundry one. It doesn’t come across as seeming nearly so crazy.

http://youtu.be/IzvintTlBNs

“The Foreign Language Myth. If you’re a parent who thinks you have a small window of time to teach your child to speak a foreign language, relax. It just isn’t true that very young children pick up languages more easily than older children. Several studies have shown that older students learn a second language more quickly, although younger students develop native-like accents more easily. Source: The Center for Applied Linguistics.”

I found this part most comforting. Its one of my greatest fears is that with my lack of multilingual abilities my kids will suffer in the long run for not being multilingual as a young children. I am going to keep plugging away at exposing them to other languages and just not worry if its a waste. Their familiarity to other languages should assist them in the future in becoming multilingual. We will see at least.

it’s so funny that you mention that laundry ad. the supermarket ad was the one that i saw - and it worked. i got over my ‘i’ll look stupid’ and started chatting up a storm to joey in the grocery store :wink: for whatever reason, i though the kid in the ad was a baby, though! maybe it’s just because joey was a baby. hmm. anyway, here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AvqRLDacGE&feature=related … the side panel has other ones that i hadn’t seen, but they were just as cute.

Yes! I thought that the kid would have been a baby also. Just the way she was saying things like “BA NA NA” but I think that is just because I forget that most children don’t learn to read until the are 5 and 6. So I guess it is promoting age appropriate phonological awareness.