Article: Infant Sound Machines Causing Hearing Loss

Just came across this article:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/infant-sound-machines-may-lead-to-hearing-loss-warning/

The article warns parents to either not use sound machines to help babies sleep, or if used, to move them significantly away from the baby.

We’ve been using a fan for some months now, but I’ve been hesitant even with that - I keep it all the way across the room.

Whoa! 50dB at 2m distance? That’s like having some moderate buzzing of a machine right in the ear. Insane! It’s no surprise that the babies could have hearing loss. Should be at 30dB level. Reference.

“Senior study author Dr. Blake Papsin, otolaryngologist-in-chief at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, told USA Today that he was also concerned that white noise may harm a developing brain, since infants need to hear all sounds in order to help their brains mature.”

Interesting, I have never considered that! Every bedroom in the house has a box/pedestal fan specifically for noise purposes (across the room usually), including the master bedroom. Oh well, a little late to worry about it now I guess.

Interesting. Thank you for sharing

I cant take any white noise, thus we had nothing going on the background with our babies. I would imagine it can drive poor baby crazy, especially when he is trying to listen and classify all kind of different noises…