Article: 18 Reasons Why Doctors and Lawyers Homeschool

http://childrensmd.org/uncategorized/why-doctors-and-lawyers-homeschool-their-children-18-reasons-why-we-have-joined-americas-fastest-growing-educational-trend/

Great article! Thanks. :slight_smile:

Yesss! :smiley: Thanks for posting. Couldn’t agree more with that article. I travel often so I put my oldest in virtual school. I had my eyes on the possibility for years but didn’t really pull the trigger on it till last year because we had some major travelling scheduled this year and by far, it’s the best thing we have done. We were so apprehensive (mostly my family) and had so many doubts just like the ones mentioned in the article but I’m relieved to say it worked out for us.

thanks - very good article and very convincing. What I find surprising is how she mentions her work and her boss - is she actually managing to work while also homeschooling her kids? I can’t understand how that can work? This is my only worry about homeschooling - you would really have to do it full-time. Even if you only spend 4 hours per day, someone has to supervise the kids the rest of the day as well. She mentions she can’t afford private school - where I live, at least if you have only one or two kids, an excellent private school would generally still cost you less than what it costs you if you quit your job. Once you have more kids obviously that can change. I am not trying to say that the decision should be decided on a financial basis only, I am just trying to understand what moms who homeschool full-time do - do some of them work and if so, how, and if they run their own online business and the like, then it must really cut into your sleep? Would love to hear how homeschooling families do it.

I agree with the article completely! We homeschooled for 2 years before finding a Montessori Charter school we love. I do miss homeschooling my daughter. It worked for us, and I felt my daughter was receiving a great education! It was a struggle for us however, because we are living on a very limited income. Now that we have found a school that we feel is right for our children I have the ability to work when my youngest starts school. I do see how a mom can homeschool and work as well. Possibly only part-time? Childcare can be provided by family, friends or even a sitter. A sitter will ask for less than a private school tuition, and the education a child receives at home is, a lot of the time, of better quality. For a lot of the reasons mentioned in the article, parents will do whatever possible to educate their children at home because they feel it is best! I wanted to keep my children out of the public schools for reasons other than the fact the education system is obsolete. So, for us, the only option was to homeschool until we found this amazing school.

Love this! Great find and thanks for sharing!

Ashly

Great article!! Loved it.

I am a veterinarian and I now work as a locum doing one to two week shifts when I am required at various different practices. I have a lady who babysits my children while I work or my mother in law comes in and babysits when I work really late. Naturally I earn less money this way, but it still makes financial sense as in order to send my oldest child to school I would have had to work full time and then of course my younger would also need to be in full time preschool. The cost for this would have meant that most of my salary would have gone to education which I can provide better at home and I also desperately need time with my children - I do not want to give them away to others at the best years of their life and have to work full time to pay to give them away - that makes no sense.

The days when I work my children are essentially on holiday though I do make my eldest do a math worksheet and read to me those days anyway - we cut back to the absolute basics when I am away most of the day.

Each day I get more and more open minded to homeschooling. But so far I’m pretty convinced about after schooling.