Arabic Schedule

Hi,

I have been skimming through some previous forums about how to teach Arabic, and got an idea on how to get started, but my biggest downfall is that I don’t have LR, due to it not being available for Macbook. Sooo, I am making my own Arabic sets. The thing is, I just wanted to know the best way to go about doing it.

I read, as suggested by AyeshaNicole, that it is better to introduce each letters and sounds, and the vowel sounds before doing whole words. So my question is, can someone recommend a schedule that would work best to introduce the Arabic lessons. I am doing Doman Reading for English and Math, and would really want to get the Arabic in there.

Thanks in advance.

I’m also looking for ways to teach Arabic to my future children (Dont have any yet :frowning: ).

However, I think that whether or not you teach your kid letter sounds or words first has to do with what you aim to get out of it. My goal is for a multilingual child to also be multi-literate. I’m interested in my children learning, speaking and knowing MSA arabic and memorizing Quran.

These can be seperate pursuits. I have studied Quran since I was about 4 or 5 years old (I dont know much, but thats not the point) I am not a native Arabic speaker, but I study Quran and various Dua’s on my own and I hope to get my kids in on the act from an early age. My goal for my children is conversational arabic. I learned to listen, learn and repeat my Quran and I learned a TINY bit of reading and writing in Arabic.

I remember reading on professional-mothering.com that she concluded that phonics was a poor method to teach any sort of reading to a child and that she’d wished she’d started more with whole word instruction, so I recommend you do a bit more research about teaching letters and sounds to babies. Its not that they cant learn them, but the problem comes when its time for them to combine the sounds in a meaningful way, and the fact that each letter has 3 forms further complicates some things so I’d think deeply about teaching letters and sounds FIRST to a baby under 3 years old if your goal is for them to be able to read Quran later.

Salam sisters,

I am just using the LR curriculum translated to Arabic. if it worked for English and Chinese, it must work for Arabic too. I think you may start with the full word right brain learning, then phonics come later.