Arabic alphabet lessons for 1 (one) year old Malaysian baby

It’s so nice you posted this maashaa’Allaah. I was recently pondering on how to teach my baby the diacritic vowels in arabic.

Lets take an example:

بَ

Should I do what the lady on the video does and ask the baby to just say the sound of the letter with the vowel: baa

or should I teach baby to say it the qaaidatun-noor way: baa’ fat-hah baa.

What do you think?

:slight_smile: The only way I know is how I taught the girls with the Noorani method, which begins with the spell reading the letter + rthe harakah, and once they recognize all patterns well (which took some time, because one of the girls got all of the harakah mixed up :nowink:

So, I had to adapt the teaching method of Noorani, which teaches the letter with each of the harakah as a group:

• baa + fathah = baa
  • baa + kasrah = bee
  • sound of: baa - bee
  • baa + dhammah = buuu
  • sound of: baa - bee - buu

to re-view the letters with only one harakah at a time, as in Ahsaanul-Qawaid / Learning Roots Read booklet does. She finally got it after many practice sessions with a lot of praise and positive reinforcement. :slight_smile:

And then began to just pronounce the sound of the letter + harakah, on their own. I also will randomize the order of the image only (no soundclips) and they will tell me what the sound of the letter + harakah (either with spell-reading or pronunciation only).

I saw the video of one of your daughters reading qaaidatun-noor this way maashaa’Allaah. So amazing, may Allaah increase them in knowledge. Aameen.

I have one more question -

I noticed the sister in the video used flashcards which had the letter in black and the harakah (vowel) in red. I was also thinking about doing that.

Would you recommend that or is it better for it to all be in red?

alhamdulillah. they learned that a long time ago, and yet like to practice older lessons. ameen.

hmmm - yes, i also wondered what do with the issue of red vs. black text per the Doman method instructions; and I had already used red text for the Doman method for English.

By the time I had the materials ready, the girls began learning Noorani (Lesson 1 Day 1 Sets 1 - 5) when they were 2 years 4 months old, and I just used the book itself, converted to Doman method format and schedule, inside of LR. Noorani (English edition) Lesson 4 (harakat), the letters are black and all of the harakat are red; and for Lesson 5 (tanween), the letters are black and the tanween are colored either yellow for al-huroof al-halqeeyah, blue for al-huroof al-shafaweeyah, or purple for al-huroof al-lisaaneeyah. The Noorani Arabic blue edition also has the same color coding for tanween, but different colors are used for tanween to indicate the same groupings of letters.

For other lessons, such as Lesson 7 (miniature long vowels), the harakat are also color coded according to groupings of huroof al-iqlaab, huroof al-idghaam (with and without ghunnah), huroof al-ith-haar, huroof al-ikhfaa’, etc. And there are notes that explain the color coding for the various lessons. For the practice lessons with words, medd is red, ghunnah is green, and qalqalah is aqua blue. In Lesson 17, the final lesson, there is an additional color coding for idghaam bi ghunnah as purple (for a few examples only).

There are also two publications from Jeddah, Juz 'Amma and last 3 Juz of the mushaaf, that have the color coding of the Arabic blue edition (which is slightly different than the English yellow edition) with green for medd, red for ghunnah, and blue for qalqalah - that remind the child to apply these rules. I personally prefer Dar-al-Maarifah’s colors for the tajweed rules ( in brief: http://www.easyquran.com/en/preface.htm ) and the girls actually like using the Madinah mushaaf, instead of the color-coded Juz Amma, alhamdulillah, although they will use the Juz Amma booklet because it less heavy and slightly larger print than the mushaaf.

For the Qur’anic words and ayat sets I am creating (in black only), I wish I had more time to create an additional set with color-coding to show the tajweed rules using Dar-al-Maarifah’s color-coding ( detailed here: http://www.easyquran.com/en/flashquran.htm ) , and maybe it is something I can do later, insha’Allah. However, currently, I just use plain black text, and point out the rule and make sure they pronounce it correctly. And I also believe that they can learn it just as countless previous generations have, because color-coding is a relatively new method ( http://www.easyquran.com/en/introd.htm ) :rolleyes:

So, for the reader, I think color-coding is good as they are first learning the base lessons of various syllable combinations, and then the words used as practice of the syllables are in black for both the letters and the harakat.

:slight_smile: