Anyone Montessori? DIY Sandpaper Letters?

Hi All! I have a 2.5 year old and I’d like to start working more with him on letters. He can recognize his letters and can sing the alphabet, but I’d like to work on tracing. He’s not a fan of painting or coloring.

I think I’m going to have him help me make some sandpaper letters. Does anyone know if there’s a specific benefit of using sandpaper? I saw a DIY that uses glue and sand instead. I’m thinking the texture should still be nice. How do you start introducing tracing?

Thanks!

Hi ,
I am using sandpaper alphabet and numbers with my 3 year old. I started using it when DS was 2 years. I made my own… it was much cheaper:) i glued cut out alphabet templates on sandpaper ( medium course) . I also use jones genuises program maths. This too has helped DS with tracing numbers …

Thanks for your reply. Did you introduce by having him trace it with his finger first?

The sandpaper is basically a tactile exploration of the letter shape, to help with muscle memory. Any texture should work, for kids who have a heightened tactile sense, felt is a nice option.

Another thing to try is a sand or flour tray. Just fill a tray with a layer of sand or flour and trace the letter shape in there. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

I saw this the other day
http://modpodgerocksblog.com/2013/09/make-montessori-sandpaper-letters.html