Anyone had pre-eclampsia? Toxemia?

I have a friend, who was pregnant with her 5th (like me), and due 5 weeks before me. She was short of breath 6 days ago, struggling to breathe. Went to hospital with high blood pressure (being monitored for pre-eclampsia), but they sent her home!!! (Aussie attitude…“she’ll be right, mate”)The next day she was back in hospital, had the baby, and it was such a disaster she’s been in intensive care in an induced coma ever since, having her lungs continually drained of fluid.
Anyone had a similar experience? What are her chances of recovery? (Baby is fine).

I’m sorry I’m just now reading this, but I had preeclampsia that turned into eclampsia. I had to be rushed by ambulance to a hospital 1.5 hours away and I had an emergency C-Section. No coma, though, thank goodness.

I just said a prayer for your friend–let us know what happens!

I’m not sure exactly when, but she is now out of the coma and home, I found out today. So I’ll be able to visit (as in Intensive care it’s family only). Just goes to remind you how dangerous pregnancy and childbirth can be. I’m so glad to be in a first-world country, not in some African nation where women die in childbirth all the time. My iron levels are up, which I had commented on before, so I’m ready for birth now. 2.5 weeks to go, but would like to have it after this long weekend, or maybe even monday. Hips are too sore, baby’s fully engaged and I’m just too sore and finding it hard to breathe (short of breath). So pop that in your prayers. Thanks.