anybody successfully gone beyond hundred....

I have completed the entire maths schedule successfully, but upto 100 … to teach beyond that … its either printing more dot cards … wonder how to squeeze 1000 dots into the card … if reduce the font size to teach again starting from 0-100 so that she gets used to it … before printing more numeral cards … but if you want to teach upto 10,000 does that mean you have to have 10,000 cards?? not likely …

I have tried magnetic plastic numerals …but that doesn’t seem to work … this pieces you can stick on white board, and build upto millions if you have that multiple sets … but they are small about 2 inch, it can be rotated so they are not able to see the numerals for the numerals eg if you tilt the 2 or 5 and they may not know what it is …

also i found that stopping maths more than 1 mth … they tend to forgot their maths … as such it become you have to continue almost daily the maths equations even after completing the entire program, to so called keep it up … phew … have to teach maths continuously from birth to 3-4 yrs until their left brain takes over ?? but maths dot is supposed to be right brain … but to understand the numerals how its written even if its skewed, requires left brain …

I chuckled when I read your post. It looks like we will be teaching maths for a long long time! :slight_smile:

Dont know the reply but will be interested to know! :biggrin:

Trinity Papa,

Though I don’t understand this concept, Doman says it is not necessary to show beyond 100 as you are only playing with zeros. But I do wonder how children will be able to do additions the answer of which sums up to more than 100, if we don’t teach them beyond 100.

Okay since you have been zealous about teaching maths, a few curious questions:

1. How long have you been doing this?
  2. Is your baby able to subitize up to 100?
  3. If you have done problem-solving sessions with equations, is your baby able to guess the answer?

Would be glad if you could answer these for us.

Questers.

Hi Quester, although i do GD maths, i don’t 100% exactly follow it. The 100+ or 1000+, i guess he was just refering to teaching 100, 1000, 10,000 etc … but if you don’t show it and read it out loud to them, i doubt they even know what it is or if you use 435, they may not know how to read it … so i tot if i break it out into individual numerals and add them in a string and read to them they would have a clue … but it doesn’t seem to work that way … it may be due to change in method of teaching and materials … which may mean i may have to start all over again but at a quicker pace using the new materials like smaller fonts and such … that is i have to find a way to link old teaching materials that is the 11" card to the 2" numerals … and redo entire series of equations again … hmmmm which means i may have to do montesorri maths at 3yrs … gish … burn out … and results don’t seem to last long … or it may be something else altogether …

1. i tot her maths from 3m old, completed some 2-3 months ago …
  2. Yes
  3. yes, unfortunately results are 50-50 … ( well first few times correctly after that she may have got fed up and answered wrongly on purpose as expected)

oh yes GD also says if they show no interest or does not understand th enew materials the font size maybe too small … so must up the size … but does that mean i have to print entire series at say 7" … ?? upto 1000’s or cards??

Mmh…I don’t know what to say…I am new to math myself. But have you tried with Little Math? I think you should be able to create files up to 1000 by decreasing the size of the icon…I am not sure, I have not tried it myself. Perhaps somebody who is conversant with LM can suggest.

In any case, your perseverance in teaching math is an inspiration to all of us!

Thanks,
Questers.

Anybody successful with 30 or less???

Haha! Not trying to ruin your thread, but I wonder if you can run a “successful” program with 30, what is magic about 100? I don’t want to go to 100.

Haha! I think that I can perceive 30 now after seeing all the dots that I’ve seen over the past several months! :wink:

:slight_smile: I am replying to the person asking about going beyond 100. The book says by that time you transition into numbers as you would already have been doing some problem solving.
For those out there still using the dot cards: try introducing numbers in many other ways:
Set up stuffed animals, cups, etc. in random order and have them duplicate it with the same number using a different item. “Oh, look, I see ___ animals! Let’s feed them, why don’t you set out the cups/plates/etc?” or “How many cups will we need?”
We want to always generalize their learning. I talk to my granddaughter when we go for a walk. “This is the bark of the Maple tree. This is the bark of the Birch tree. The bark is like a jacket, it keeps the tree warm.” (picking up leaves from different trees): “This is the leaf of the Maple tree”. “This is the leave of a Birch tree”. “See how different they are?”
She started talking in 3 word sentences last month at 18 months. That has to be because we talk to her about everything- no baby talk in our house!
Remember moms: try to LOVE those kids first. I was so intense and such a perfectionist when I started teaching my son reading and homeschooling him, it is a wonder he even wants to homeschool his daughter. I only had one child so I don’t have that chance again. They need to know you love and accept them NO MATTER WHAT THEY DO.
Hugs and great luck with math & reading! :slight_smile:
Deveney