Any tips on helping 5 yo pronounce his "R's"?

He’s been a little behind schedule on pronouncing some sounds…but this one is still pretty tough for him…I’m not going to push him but thought I’d ask all you wonderful parents out there if anybody had some great tips on teaching the child how to pronounce his “R’s”…the closest we’ve come to it is when I tell him to growl like a bear…GRRRRrr…but he still favors the “W” sound.

Thank you. :confused:

He might be a little too old for it, but have you considered Leap Frog’s Letter Factory?

My little girl has the same problem too, sounding the “R” as “L”… she also can’t said the “F” sound… Had been showing her numerous time but still didn’t work out. She did watch the Leap frog letter factory… but I think the main problem is they know that right sound but they can’t say the right sound … it’s like learning a foreign language to the elder people :unsure: Tough to overcome the problem …

Agnesdecham

We’ve used Leap Frog Letter factory and I agree that it’s a matter of figuring out how to make the sound. He knows what the sound R is…but can’t seem to duplicate it… I need to figure out a way to teach him how to place the tongue in the mouth correctly for that sound. Hmmmm…

Get a mirror 4-5 inches wide that can be held close to the face.
Practice saying different words such as
Wing and RRRRRING. See how they look different in the mirror.
also WONG and rRRRRONG.

See if this helps.

Granny Skippy

This may sound weird, at least to me it did, but my mom had the same problem when she was a child, then they realized the piece of skin that holds the tongue to the bottom of your mouth, dont know what it’s called, was causing the problem, so they had to cut it so that she could lift her tongue up more, and then she could say R’s. I don’t know. May be something to ask the Dr about.

Problem??? Well we are from Boston and if you have ever heard anyone speak from this city they do NOT pronounce R’s… They say ca for car, etc…

When we moved to Florida everyone thought my child had speech problems :slight_smile: She did overcome this and now pronounces her R’s .

In my language (hungarian) we pronounce it harder than English. My son can’t do it either yet, but I think it could be normal at age 2. I use different rhymes to practice - sometimes I "create"new ones just for fun. He enjoyes the. I think the most important thing is to hear the proper ‘r’ and they will find the way sooner or later.

I think its not related (reading R as L) with learning a new language.

I remember my sister has this problem until she is 5-6 yo. And that time she was
using her mother tongue lang only. Now she is all fine.

I think there is nothing to worry about. It will go ways with time.
(We just need to make sure they do not loose their confidence
because of incorrect pronunciation)

– Kreena.

this might sound weird but this is common practice in my country. We ask a child to say T D PASLIK ( trpaslik= midget ) , repeating the word several times fast and while souding out the word use a straw or finger to move from side to side touching the tip of his tongue. Instead of t d paslik it will sound like trpaslik with lovely R. :yes:

BUT there are different excercises depending on position R in word. (On the begining, in the middle or the end )

Deneen,

My grandson had a similar problem and with exercises he is much better.
Still he has to work more but is improving.

Maybe it will help if you read:
http://forum.brillkids.com/coffee-corner/poor-pronunciation-of-a-3-5-years-old/new/

I say don’t worry about it. It is normal for this sound to come late - sometimes as late as 2nd grade. Speech therapists won’t even treat it until 3rd grade. As long as your child can hear the difference when you say it, it’s fine.

Aw, come on–this will take care of itself. Don’t worry about it. Unlike, say, reading, there’s little advantage to being able to enunciate perfectly at an early age. FWIW my first, who is 4.5, still says, “I wuv you” daily. lol

I guess I need to move to Boston, lol ! I still pronounce R’s french way…