Any side effects of early learning?

Hi, my kids at 2.5yo has learned about all sorts of shapes, reading numbers 1-100, colors, alphabet letters and sound, comparison such as tall and short etc… , knows how to read sentences, can add simple counting, etc…

i’ve got worried when i heard some relatives commenting that i may have gone at too fast pace and this will cause the kid to lost interest in school later… I am not sure of the side effects, I’m first time mummy, hope someone out there who has plenty of experience in early teaching can give me a booster to continue to teach her more… :slight_smile:

Keep going! Just keep teaching.
Yes it’s possible they may be bored at times in school, that is no reason to stop teaching them now. It is far better to have a child who is occasionally bored than one who is struggling to learn. Plus to be honest half the class is regularly bored in any given classroom. Just because you are smart won’t protect you from boredom!
Also at times in your child’s life you will get amazng teacher who understand what your child needs. These people are worth gold. You won’t get them every year but often enough that your child will be challenged in school no matter what you teach now.
If you are really still worried teach outside the curriculum. I did for a number of years. My kids know incredible facts about any topic and are a delight to have a conversation with. Teach your child about the birds, plants, air, water cycle and cultures of the world. Teach the porely covered topics in school such as music, language, art, geography and history. It can’t hurt a child to know all the countries of the world or how to do amazing drawings. Your relatives and friends will have no problem with those advanced skills :slight_smile:

This forum began about 4 years ago and slowly the children who began with this programme are reaching school-going age so if you hunt around on the forums you will find many posts now addressing this - mostly with children who started kindergarten now or are due to start soon (my own DD who began LR at 8 months of age is due to start our equivalent of kindergarten in January 2013) You will see that many people are doing different things to cope - in some countries the children MUST go to school and many of these parents afterschool their children. Some parents advocate for the children and try to use advanced curricula that allow the children to move at their own pace. Some do have struggles with boredom in school. Some children will end up in gifted classes if they can maintain momentum and not get bored. And then there are a number who have decided to homeschool their children and just keep up with the learning pace.

I am going to homeschool mine as she really is a lot ahead of what our country teaches and at least two grade levels ahead in all areas and four or five grade levels ahead when it comes to reading. I have asked myself many times whether this has to do with the teaching or the child herself and I think its a combination - most people who get involved in early education and most children who excel at it do come from families that think education is important and therefore probably are of higher IQs though who knows?

There are ways to make it work and still enjoy the quality time with your child teaching her while she is young and there are many options regarding later education no matter what area you come from.

Don’t hold your child back from reaching his academic potential just because he’ll be ahead of his peers in school. Intelligent kids won’t be bored in school because they’ll invent new challenges for themselves if they already know the material. For example, in 3rd grade we had a mandatory 30 minute reading time where we were only provided with a small set of picture books to read, and I was already reading novels like “Little Women” at the time so this was way below my level. Instead of sitting around bored, I taught myself to read books upside down. Then when I had read all the books upside down, I decided to count the number of letters on each page and make pie charts to identify the most commonly used letters. School is more of a social experience nowadays, anyway, so I wouldn’t be too worried about your child not being challenged (do some afterschooling with him to keep him interested in learning).

Side effects? Teaching your kids is addicting and can be really lousy on your pocketbook if you let it! lol

Nice one, TMT. lol

Teaching them to love to learn, that is what you are doing. The more I learn the less I realize I know. How can you get bored when the world is full of opportunities to learn new things?

I was an early learner… Read by 3.
I turned out okay. And I am a learning junkie now.

Well said all :slight_smile: Thanks so much for the encouragement!

My kid stops watching her favorite DVDs… previously she keeping wanting to repeat again again and again till now when i wanted to play them, she said “don’t want don’t want don’t want”… I showed her lots of DVDs about alphabet , numbers , colors , shapes, counting … that also made me worried as when she gets to her nursery, she will do the same again… will that make her frustrated more in school as she already know them all?