any link between learning to talk and learning to read FULL SENTENCES

I was wondering if there is a link between when a child learns to talk and when he learns to read.
My son is a late talker; he started talking at the age of 2 and he still doesn’t speak “full sentences” yet; he just repeats any word you say to him and says couplets at the most, but not sentences.
When i read to him, he follows my fingers and knows many words, but i feel that he is not comfortable reading any of the sentences. Is there a correlation between speaking full sentences and reading … like you have to be able to talk comfortably (full sentences) for quite a period of time before you can actually start reading? I don’t know if i am making myself clear … :confused:

It would be great to have some of the moms/dads who have experience with their kids reading help with this …

No way. We have seen babies reading befor talking. Just watch the success stories of YBCR :
http://www.yourbabycanread.com/ce-y-success.aspx
You know they are reading words like clap, mouth, eyes, etc etc. because they act or point.
The sooner you start (since 3 month old) the better.

Sorry, I didn’t word my post the right way, I think that caused the confusion.

My son can read many many words (hundreds of words) comfortably, but he doesn’t read any short phrases even though we have been practicing for some time (even though he knows all the words in the phrase). So I am attributing that to him being a late-talker. Like it’s difficult for him to read the whole phrase (even though he knows all the words in it) because he doesn’t TALK in full phrases yet … maybe that’s why reading the whole phrase for him is challenging … that’s what I was trying to get at… I hope I clarified myself a little more. :biggrin:

I am assuming and thinking that the “early readers” were also “early talkers”…

I am seeing this with my own daughter. She is gradually starting to talk but most of it is single words and a few phrases (she is 20 months old) While she can and will read a lot of words, she only reads out loud words that she has said before or words that she is copying (we read the word and then she says it out loud after us)

If I put a sentence on the wall she will point to the words in the correct order (from left to right) and choose to only read some of them (generally the nouns) out loud. So if the sentence says: Mummy and Daddy clap hands, then she will read “Mummy” point to the word and then read “Daddy” point to clap and then show us her hands for hands.

While I believe she can read the full sentences (and she certainly understands the entire concept of the sentence - if for example there is a sentence that says: Teddy is under the bed then she’ll look under the bed for the teddy) I have a feeling she will not be reading them out loud until her talking has progressed to sentences.

NadaZafar,
Definitely I missed your point but now it is clear. i think you are right, babies read normally words but not phrases. It sounds logical that in order to read whole sentences out loud and not just understanding the meaning you would be talking also in the same way.
Maybe moms with kids that are already ‘reading books’ and not just words may have an answer if their childs were already talking in phrases before reading

Tanikit,
Karma for your http://blogmyway.org/bv2/tanikit/ link. What a cure girl Laurana.

Karma for the change in the title adding ‘FULL SENTENCES’ NadaZafar

HI GIRLS AND MOMS
What the kids are really doing is “relating” the words to certain pictures, objects or actions. It is not a reading and comprehension activity. Babies and small children can learn to recognize the brand of their favorite food, drink, toy, etc, and even call them by their names, but they see the word as a “whole”, not as a set of letters. This happens because they are processing single words as single concepts first, then they integrate them in context. There is a girl that “reads-relates” more than a word, or we might say, words on a row, and she relates one by one separately, soon she will read the whole sentences as a whole, and not as a set of words. Remember this is a process, and their brains are also growing, increassing their vocabulary, relationships, concepts, experience, training, etc.
And YES-CONGRATULATIONS this is the beginning of leading then to be readers in the future. Patty

A couple of days back my daughter finally read the word “and” out loud. This word is actually not in her spoken vocabulary which interested me. She is speaking in two word phrases at the moment so it was strange that she would pick a word like “and” to read out loud. I do not know if this is the next step to reading sentences out loud or how long it will take, but it clearly is possible for children and babies to read aloud words they cannot use in any kind of context yet.

Hi NadaZafar,

From my experience with teaching my daughter to read, I also notice there was a link between when she learns to talk and when he learns to read. At 24 months she was talking in short sentences and she can read a sentence with few words in it by herself. eg I can see a bird flying in the sky. She would be talking like this and her reading would be the same.

She would be overwhelmed with a paragraph even though she knew all the words in it. She will only read a paragraph only when the words are pointed out.

Now she is two and a half and talks quite alot, much like a 4 year old, she can read a book on her own with a condition that the print is not too small.

I dont have a teaching schedule, my schedule is “follow the child” :yes: and did use the Doman program lightly and completely end the program when she had absolutely no interest in putting words together to make a sentence. So I continued on and off with improving vocabulary with a new word and the meaning or an example the word used in a sentence (used in LR) and lots and lots of reading. I had long reflected on how she learns to read and had notice this link. But this is just my experience.