Any good parenting book you can recommand?

Let me start it first :

1. The Education of Karl Witte

By Karl Heinrich Gottfried Witte

1. Parenting Young Children (Helpful strategies based on systematic training for effective parenting (STEP) for parents of children under six)

By Don Dinkmeyer, Sr. & Gary D. McKay & James S. Dinkmeyer

1. Boundaries with kids

By Cloud/ Townsend (on the waiting list)

1. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk ( I heard it’s pretty good, it’s on my waiting list.)

Do you have any good parenting book you want to recommand? Thank you:P

Curly

:smiley:

I love " Brilliant babies Powerful adults" by John Mike,M.D.
and "What’s Going on in There? ": How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life by Lise Eliot
and “The baby book” by Willian and Martha Sears.

The two first ones are my favorites, I learned so much information from the inside od the brain, how it works thru things that I can teach her, and I learned about me, how things in the past can affect in your child’s life and education…very very interesting.

I am currently reading Playful Parenting by Lawrence J Cohen PHD which I bought for DH because the title just made me think of him. He is one of the funniest people I know. I thought it was going to be about games to play with kids, but it turns out it is a discipline book. Here is an excerpt from the book. http://www.enotalone.com/article/4481.html I think I will have an easier time being consistent with this kind of play therapy approach toward discipline than more stern approaches. Of course, I’m sure it won’t cover all scenarios, but I feel like it is a good start for me.

For Asian parents, you can try Asian Parenting Today (by Jennifer Hor, Ho Ai Ling & Jocelyn). Short description of the content:

Asian Parenting Today was born from numerous requests by parents with whom Jennifer, Ai Ling & Jocelyn have worked over the past decade to publish a book that specifically addresses the issues and concerns of Asian parents today.

Asian parents are often faced with the quandary of either subscribing to western practices or following traditional customs of their mothers and grandmothers before them. This book addresses many of the very common childcare issues that parents today face, with special emphasis on and respect to Asian cultural beliefs and practices.

More that just an indispensable parenting compendium for modern parents, Asian Parenting Today also provides real-life questions and practical, realistic solutions for new parents to help make their parenting experience an enjoyable, stress-free one.

I got this for a gift:

1-2-3 Magic “Effective Discipline for Children 2-12” Thomas W.Phelan, Ph.D.

I have read a few chapters so far and it teaches you how to stop behavior that you don’t want your kids to do (i.e. whining) and how to encourage behavior you want your kids to do (i.e.doing homework)

‘Secrets of the Baby Whisperer’, Tracy Hogg. Anything from sleep advice to solid food, from birth to approx. 3 years. A real bible.