Any Early Readers Out There?

I was just wondering if there were any members on the forum that were early readers themselves. I was thinking about all of the things I do with my son and how much he already knows at a young age. I began wondering if I was taught as early as him.

When it comes to reading I have always been a fast reader. I “see” sentences before I actually read them and read just as fast as I talk. My husband thinks I read too fast and instead of reading I skim therefore I don’t “really” understand what I just read. He finally believed me when I told him exactly what the article was talking about.

So earlier today I called my mom to ask her. She said she wasn’t sure, but that most likely I got my reading ability from her :slight_smile: She also said she read the book “How to Teach Your Baby to Read”, but wasn’t big on flashcards and tailored it to fit her. She also taught us math early too which is why my older brother knew his multiplication tables from 1 to 12 at the age of 4. I LOVE math as well and will be starting fractions with my son really soon :slight_smile:

Okay I am done rambling, but I do hope to hear from others who know whether or not they were early readers :smiley:

I learned to read by the time I was three. My mom didn’t do anything special, just read to me a lot. I am still avery fast reader (with novels I can do 100 pages an hour) and I ended up as a physician. So I’d like to think that there is some advantage to early reading.

I can’t remember how old I was when I learnt to read - certainly less than 4. I know my sister was less than 3 when she learnt too. My mother never read Doman’s book, but she did read “Reading and Writing before school” which was by a woman who had used Doman’s methods with phonics on her own children so my mother used a similar approach.

With my own daughter I am also using a combination of methods. I think children learn really quickly at young ages no matter how you present things to them.