An idea to relate the alphabet with a game

Today my little baby girl is 5 months!!! lol lol lol
I have been considering possible ways to introduce her the English alphabet. In a month she will be able to be sitting, I suppose.

• Little reader downloads
  • Videos youtube.
  • Cardboard Boxes I am collecting boxes (dices) to put things that begin with the letters that appear outside. In the first dice, I will put the letters A, B, C and in the other side the object that will appear inside. I suppose that my little baby will be able to be sitting when she is 6/7 months. We will play together. lol

Another idea???

I have bought in amazon the video “Learn to talk”. It is a good tool to entertain and stimulate infants and toddlers to speak.It uses a combination of sounds, music, visual stimulatioj and basic sign language to introduce your little one to a variety of vocabulary as s/he learn to say her/his first words. My little baby loves the woman who appear in the video. But she does not like animals. lol It is very funny how she makes different faces depending on she observes… lol There is a parental tutorial. I think that teaching her to talk through signs will be very good for her language learning developing. I have a question, suppose silly question… Are the signs used the same signs used by the people who are not able to hear??? I don,t think so.

hello, it’s great that you’re going to teach your child. would one day shtastliva.na this age most suitable system of Glenn Doman. a little child is the easier e.ne teach her letters and a whole phrases., and are written in very large letters. success.

The more I read about Glenn Doman, the more I like… When I have the book everything will be easier to work with a baby. It was so strange when I began. It is a secret. My husband is the only person who knows that my little baby is learning to read.They would think that I am crazy. I would like that one day, my daughter shows her knowledge and people say: What? How? When? Who has been her teacher??? I would be so proud!! If she does not learn how to read, at least she will know a lot of vocabulary…

Nuria2012,

I feel you :slight_smile: Except when I started I was so excited I told EVERYONE… and they thought I was crazy. I never really thought any of this early learning would work and much to my surprise it did. Everyone was amazed but now they think I am crazy because of the amount of knowledge my son is displaying. Soooo i downplay everything and only share his new understandings with my husband and a few others who have been supportive.
With all your efforts I am sure your daughter will have more than an expanded vocab. What really helped my son was learning phonic sounds at the same time he was learning letters. His first words were puppy, apple and happy. He pronounced them perfectly. I used to sing A is for apple /a/ /a/ /a/. Then I would start a new letter the next day. We played various games with alphabet bean bags. I made an alphabet crawl track in the hallway. His favorite is playing with magnets so after he lost interest in the leapfrog letters I got him foam phonic magnets from www.lakeshore.com. They also have a nice letter of the day pocket chart which I should get off the iPad right now so I can start preparing material to turn it into an element of the day chart. :wink: Sometimes I wish I had an assistant to help…
Also try to find an abc book that you two can enjoy over and over and over again. My son’s favorite was Basher Kids ABC. I think he recognized the alphabet letters from having it read to him so many times. I liked this one because it devoted an entire page to the upper and lowercase letter so he could clearly see them.

I did not teach Cayden to sign but I am pretty sure it is the same signs used by individuals with hearing issues.

I’m introducing the alphabet to my 16 month old at the moment, here are a few things we are doing

• I am trying to focus on the sound the letters make rather than the name of the letters.
  • Playing with the leapfrog signing magnets, this is really good but the child need to have a bit of hand eye coordination to get the letters in the music box to hear the sound otherwise the parent need to lead the play and help.
  • Learning to finger spell letters,
  • I stick up different collections of certain pictures of things that all start with the same letters. Whenever we walk past it we talk about it eg "M sounds like mmmmm… Mum mmmm, monkey mmm, mm mouse etc. I change these around every now and again.
  • I found some songs that go through the alphabet making the sounds the letters make and we listen to that in the car or just chilling at home.
    -Also do our letters on Little Reader
  • We play with wooden letters, stick them in playdough and make words out of them at the dinner table.
  • We play “can you find me … (make the letter sound)” “which one is etc”
  • We stop and point out letters on new signs when we are out and about.

She love the letter “o” at the moment and points at anything round and calls it “oh” very cute

Hi Mela,
I am not the only person who is called crazy!!! :frowning: My friends use this word with me because my behaviour. I am a funny person who is always smiling, laughing and doing unexpected things. :clown: I begin to believe in this programme and I am not going to leave it because my little sunshine loves it. I have bought DVDS in amazon and she is not so interested. She prefers programmes where ther are bits such as Sparkabilities or LR. Today the postman brought me my last purchase. One of the DVDs worked with phonics. Perphas five minutes but not more. Thanks for your ideas. I thint that an assistant in the future would be necessary, if I begin to work. I have no idea how I will be able to do everything. A superwoman!!! I have looked at in your link but I can´t find the letters :huh: Can you help me :ph34r: ?

Kiwimum,
Your nickname tastes fruit. :slight_smile: You have also enumerated ideas that I will take into account. Some of them are obvious and other so good!! For example, Can you find me??" Good!!! You also name leapfrogs, where can I see them, if I like how can I get them?? Thank you .

That is really a cool idea. The way parenting is done always influence the future of the child.

sight words

nuria2012 - here is the link to the leapfrog fridge magnetc alphabet letters I use and find very useful. I hope this helps

http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Fridge-Phonics-Magnetic-Alphabet/dp/B000096QNK

Nuria2012,
Here are the links to the ones I use http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|GG136~~.jsp

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|JJ807~~.jsp
There is another one but I am not seeing on their website. Sometimes it is difficult to find the right tools to teach our younger children. They have sooooo many fun looking products that are a little hard for a child under 3 to use.

My son was the same way and still is he rarely watches anything unless he sees words. He loves Readeez and I am sure he picked up a lot of phonics there. Check out his website for more details www.readeez.com You can get discount coupons in the BrillKid points redemption section and you can check his videos out on YouTube.

We have so much in common! I shook all the looks and comments and beamed in the shine from the smile of my son loving his lessons. I had no idea any of this would stick (it did!) all I knew was from day 1 he loved it.
I just found 3 new alligator apps that are free. I wish there was a way to ldirevt link to apps in iTunes. But here is a website listing the apps. Phonics genius, fry instant words and sight words.

Edit+ would help if I pasted the link. http://nancybarthtutoring.com/?p=2973

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/search/results.jsp?bmForm=keyword_search&bmFormID=1348218812295&bmUID=1348218812295&bmIsForm=true&bmPrevTemplate=%2Fsearch%2Fresults.jsp&bmText=initialSearchTerm&initialSearchTerm=Phonic+magnets&bmHidden=search&search=10&bmImage=search.x&bmImage=search.y&bmHiddenName=search&bmHiddenIndex=0&bmImage=search&search.x=0&search.y=0&bmHidden=SEARCH_INPUT<>searchFor&SEARCH_INPUT<>searchFor=Phonic+magnets&bmHidden=SEARCH_INPUT<>path&SEARCH_INPUT<>path=%2Fmedia%2Fcontent%2Fsearch&bmHidden=SEARCH_INPUT<>path&SEARCH_INPUT<>path=%2FProducts%2FLakeshore&bmHidden=SEARCH_INPUT<>objectTypes&SEARCH_INPUT<>objectTypes=PRODUCT&bmHidden=SEARCH_INPUT<>objectTypes&SEARCH_INPUT<>objectTypes=CONTENT&bmHidden=SEARCH_INPUT<>searchTextOperator&SEARCH_INPUT<>searchTextOperator=and&bmHidden=autocompleteFlag&autocompleteFlag=&bmHidden=ASSORTMENT<>ast_id&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474395181113

Not sure why it is not linking to the individual products… The names of the ones I have are Vocabulary Building prefix and suffix & magnetic word builders. I like the looks of a new product called Phonic word builder magnet kit.

lol lol lol lol Thank you parents,

Many websites to take into account. :happy:

Here are a few things I have done with my son to teach letters:

I wrote letters on ping pong balls and floated them in the bath with him. Maybe your baby is too young but I also got him a net and he would use it to scoop them up. Sometimes we would float the balls in a bowl of water. He actually liked this more than in the bath but it made a big wet mess everytime.

I put letter stickers at the bottom of a cup cake tin. I filled the tins up with water and he would toss a little stone, a baby food lid (probably safer) or a ball at the tin and see which cup/letter it landed in. He loved the splash. We didn’t do this often even though he loved it. This is another messy one and you have to watch carefully that they are throwing gently. You could use this with out the water and sort toys in each cup according to the innitial letter sound. For example, the dog would go in ‘d’ cup.

I put laminated letters in an empty floss container and he would love to take them out and put them back in.

You can also cut a hole in the top of an empty coffee can and drop refrigerator magnets through the slot. Kids love putting things in containers and if you use a tin can it will clang when they drop the letter in the can.

I made letter cards, punched a hole in the top and put a binder ring through the hole. He’d hang the rings on hooks.

I wrote letters on toilet paper rolls and put a picture of Elmo on a box with his mouth cut out. He would put the rolls in the hole and feed Elmo.

Ian enjoyed these games and they didn’t require much money.