Age recommended for early development DVD in babies

Hi, i am new in this forum and found it very usefull.
I have a 5 week old daughter and wanted to know at what age is it good to start with early development DVDs like Little Pim or Baby Einstein. I do not think they can see the video at this age or maybe it is not recommended but is it ok to play it on the back so that she can listen to the music or the words in other languages especially the ones i do not speak?
When i put the TV i have seen her trying to turn her head to where the voice or the images came but i am afraind to have a baby addicted to the screen. Wouldn’t it harm her?

Different people have different options. If I had know about all earlier, and the products were available when my son was an infant, at 5 weeks I would have used http://www.sparkabilities.com/ Baby 1, as well as the Brillkids Infant Stimulation Cards https://user.brillkids.com/onlinestore/infant-stimulation-cards.php

I think most people wait until 3 or 4 months.

I started at 5 months but my son has only started to show an interest in the last few weeks at 7 months. You’ll be guided by your baby but I’d do some reading on what’s out there and start a bit later, there’s no rush.

I tried to introduce television at around 2 and half months or so. I would place the baby in the bouncer seat on the coffee table so it was fairly close to the TV. They would usually watch a 30 minute video once or twice a day. Of course, sometimes they only watched for 15 minutes. I found that having a routine, such as showing a video in the morning after they ate, while I took care of all my other kids, really worked out. I also showed one in the afternoon either before or after a nap, I can’t remember now. Actually, it was when I was preparing dinner at 4 PM. Cooking is easier without a baby in tow, although I have nursed babies standing up while stirring food on the stove. :wub:

Just remember that this period of development from now until your child is 6 years old will have the most impact on their life. The more language your baby hears and sees the better for your baby. Brain connections are being formed now more than they ever will again. If you can play music with lyrics, in other languages, read to your baby and talk to your baby, you will be building a really strong foundation.

I would stock up on educational videos that teach reading, foreign language, sign language, music, etc… If you do turn the tv on, make sure it is something educational. Just as you would not feed your baby junk food, do not feed their brains with junk TV. The content is critical. Once babies start to watch cartoons and shows that are strictly entertaining, they will most likely not have an appetite for some of the wonderful videos that will stimulate their minds. TV can be a fabulous tool for you. People are naturally attracted to the television. It commands attention. Have you ever been in a room with the television on and tried to have a conversation with someone? It isn’t easy. This is something you can capitalize on if you choose good content. Most children are attracted to the tv as well which is why your baby is trying to view it.

I love the Baby Einstein DVDs, not because they are very educational, since most of them aren’t. I appreciate them for the beautiful images and the classical music. They don’t speak much in the videos, so they won’t stimulate language unless you use the Language Nursery DVD and we liked the one that teaches colors for being educational. You might be able to find great videos at your library or through Netflix to see what your baby likes before you purchase them.

Best to you and your baby!