age 3+

My daughter is already over three years old is it too late to start with the reading and maths programme???
Any feedback will be appreciated
Thanks

I suspect that it will be too late to start with the math dot programme as children older than about 30 months (2.5years) are not able to distinguish dot quantities like babies can. Nonetheless it is not too late to start doing math with her - if I were you I would use a lot of manipulatives and let her count and see what is going on when you add and subtract and so on.

As for the reading - it is never too late to start. The difference between teaching a baby and a three year old is that you need to move faster with the 3 year old - they need to leap from single words to phrases and sentences and on to books as fast as possible and at this age they want to read books, not flashcards. Maybe choose a book with very few words then teach her separately all those words and then let her read the book - thats about the fastest way to accomplish this. At 3 you can also teach phonics as a separate exercise which may also speed an older child to reading more fluently faster.

Good luck.

thanks

I bought YBCR a few months ago. My 7 mo watches them and I do flash cards with her. My older daughter, she will be 3 in august, doesn’t always watch the videos. I put words up on the wall with a pic next to it. Then after a while take the pic down. When she knows that word I retire it. I am using the words from the YBCR videos so when she does wath it she sees the same words. Should I move on to more couplets? She knows the phonetic sounds of all letters. I am going to choose a book and teach her all the words so she can read it. Is there anything else I should be doing differently?

Sounds like you are doing a good job - it would be wise to teach couplets and phrases before giving her a whole book just to see how she copes - there seems to be a bit of a jump from reading phrases and sentences to tackling a whole book. Maybe use the words you are teaching her to make a few sentences.

As for phonics - once they know all the letter sounds you need to start working on blending to make simple consonant-vowel-consonant words (start with words she knows before moving to ones she needs to work out) eg if she knows “hat” get her to sound out the letters and blend them, then you could later get her to sound out a work she perhaps doesn’t know (eg bat or whatever word you choose) Once she’s got those right then you move on to more complicated sounds (sh, th, ch) and the vowel combinations (ai as in train and rain etc) Sometimes a phonics programme helps so you don’t miss anything. Younger children may figure out the phonics themselves if they have learnt enough words by sight, but older children usually do need to be taught some phonics along with the sight words.

I am doing the couplets that are in the YBCR videos. Arms up, roll over. And I do tape up a sentence using some of the words she already knows. With that she has learned to read each individual words and from left to right. So I think I will move on to a whole book. A short one of course. And she also loves leap frog letter factory. She will say all the letter sounds but won’t quit blend them together herself yet.

Little Pink Angel - the other thing I do with my son (3 years 3 months) for Math is I stick up charts. Like the multiplication ones we had as children but it’s addition. I add pictures of Thomas trains on them to make them more interesting to him and he runs to look at them everyday. He will read them out to himself - 2 + 3 = 5, etc.

Another thing I do with flashcards for reading with my older boy is I talk him through the words. For instance, if we’re doing food words today, I might say, “I think you love to eat this!” And I’ll flash the word. Usually if he recognises the word, he’ll say it. If he doesn’t, I’ll say it. There’s no pressure for him to read it and it helps me find out what he’s learned. Of course he recognises the words that are closest to his heart - all the food words of things he likes to eat he definitely knows.