AFTER YBCR FLASHCARDS AND DVD WHAT'S NEXT?

Hi to all parents out there! I am new to this forum. I would like to ask, what did you do next after your child mastered all the words in the YBCR flashcards? I have seen several videos of toddlers reading books. Hope you could share some ideas with me on how you teach your child to read books. Thank you so much :slight_smile:

We also started with YBCR a very long time ago. DD mastered all of the words but did not learn how to decode new words from the DVDs, she simply needed to see more words! So, I started looking for new curriculum and moved on to Little Reader. We have been thrilled with it, and because it is customizable and expandable, you can never be “done” with it. When she masters all the words in Little Reader, you simply download or create new files to learn more words. They also have phonics files available for download and the ABC song, etc, so you can begin working on letter sound knowledge if you like.

Also, you can download many foreign language files from the library and begin teaching a second language now too. Best of luck!!

I am sharing reading activities and material that I am using with my daughter on my blog:
http://learningmorethanever.blogspot.com/

Hope you will find helpful tips there.

Yep I also would say try little reader next :slight_smile: worth every cent. Also basically you want to introduce some phonics now. Aim to teach what sounds the letters make. There are dozens of systems and programs to teach phonics. LR has it included. ( yep worth every cent :wink: ) you could find a phonics program and flash words demonstrating that phonics pattern in groups. Teach the basic single alphabet sounds first. Also keep showing more words, many kids figure out phonics rules just by being shown enough words. Once you are one the road introduce some sight words (the, it, where,… Look up dolch list or ayres words) keep going, you are on the right track :slight_smile:

Read lots of simple books to your child and point to each word. Pause and let your child help you read the words they know. This is very helpful. You can make up silly sentences with flash cards that you can read together. You will need some sight words flash cards along with your YBCR flashcards. For an idea of what I am referring to check out this page at the bottom.

http://www.monkisee.com/sight-words-flash-cards.html

@Teaching My Toddler & Mandabplus3
Thank you so much for the helpful tips! I think I am going to try Little Reader. Btw, I have a few questions about LR

• Can I add more words and pictures there? For example, I want to teach her the 50 States of the USA. Can I add text and pictures in LR?
    *Does LR come with sentences/stories?
    *Are the downloadable files free?

Thank you so much.

@Nadia
Thank you so much. I’ve read your blog and got a lot of helpful ideas!!! I am going to buy Preschool Prep Company readers for my child and I think I will try Little Reader this week. Your child is doing great in reading! Congratulations! I can’t wait for my 1 yr old to read sentences. =)

Thanks.

@Krista G.
Thank you so much for the helpful tips! I visited the link you gave me and I am planning to buy sight words flashcards for my child.

Maryofus
Yes LR is customizable. Yes you can easily teach the 50 states through LR. You can add pictures, words, sounds… In fact I haunt looked but I reckon someone has already done the 50 states and uploaded it for you to use :slight_smile: all the files FREE. Once you have the software you don’t pay any more. Use the free trial to get a feel for it.
LR comes with sentances…not sure about stories but I know there are a few stories available for free download. Also if you have an iPad/ iPhone there are stories free to download on the LR app. ( its still under construction but still great) LR also contains phonics.
Once you have LR you can download some sight word files to use as flash cards as well. I also think a few hard copy sight word flash cards are a good idea…we spend a lot of time in the car!
You could make a few silly sentence files using words from YBCR and sight words, in LR, this would allow your child to learn the sight words in context. you will not be dissapionted with LR it is expandable as far as your time and imagination allow.

Thank you so much. Purchased little reader a week ago and my little one loves it so much :slight_smile: