After LR, what to do next?

Hi. I am almost approaching the end of semester 2 of LR and I dont know what to do next. I mean where do we continue. She is not reading fluently as the kids on the videos. Thanks.

Congratulations on completing LR! That represents a lot of hard work on both your part and your child’s! And don’t worry about your child not being where other kids are in the videos! She is so much farther ahead of “normal” kids her age, just by being exposed to EL! And every kid learns different things at their own pace. Compared to most kids on here, my daughter is far behind in math. :yes: But she has been exposed to so much of it that she is ahead of kids not doing EL.

There are lots of options about what to do next. If your daughter hasn’t yet learned her phonics sounds, you could check out Starfall.com. It is FREE! After that, Reading Bear is a wonderful option. It has about 50 lessons. Each lesson can be gone through for a week or so with your child hearing the phonics sounded out very slowly to very quickly, whatever she is interested in. If you want, log in to Reading Bear and the computer will keep track of what lesson should be played next, and at what rate of speed. R.B. also has “quizzes” that are similar to LR game section. They will also keep track of which quizzes have been done and randomize the questions, keep track of scores, etc. Oh, yes! Reading Bear is also FREE! :biggrin:

Another option would be to customize a course in LR using free downloads from the LR library. Just whatever she is interested in would be good. Or start another language by using LR. You can’t beat the new LR course maker!!

And reading, reading, reading, anything and everything you can with her. Books, cereal boxes, signs, whatever you find. If you don’t have a good library nearby, there are good online sources. Check out WeGiveBooks website. Books Should Be Free is another good site. If you have a kindle, Centsless Books has free kindle books updated every hour from Amazon.com.

Those are a few options. Hope it helps!

Thanks a lot.

mark this down!! thank you CVMomma. very useful to us.

Hi justbeinmommy,

I’m currently working on a LR full sentences course which would be perfect for any young LR English curriculum graduate. What I’m doing is turning the slides into full sentences, so a slide will read “Can you clap your hands?” with that text and audio, then when the image and video of clap comes up the audio simply says “clap” - basically an inversion of the original course. You will only be able to use it if you are a US English user because the media is locket. (I would love full sentence versions for the Chinese and French Curriculum too, but I will not be able to do those without help.) I’m hoping to have it done by September/October-ish. I have a demo of this ready and my boy likes it a lot!

Let me know if you are interested.

Hi MamaOfWill!
I am interested. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hi justbeinmommy, I’ll send you the demo and some details in an email tonight, regards! :wink:

Hi justbeinmommy,

Don’t worry regarding your daughter hasn’t read fluently in the end of the 2nd semester of LR. As the parents, please try to be patient in teaching our babies/ toddler. Please do not put our babies as if they are in the race and competing with others. Every children is different. If our children have not read fluently, simply we just repeat the lesson. If she doesn’t read fluently, may be because she doesn’t here the word clearly. If she doesn’t hear/listen the word clearly, she will not be able to pronounce the word correctly. Even if she listen clearly, it doesn’t mean that she will automatically be able to pronounce correctly. In this situation, we should help/guide her how to pronounce correctly.

Again, please be patient with our children. Do not worry about the output, but concentrate more with the input. The important thing is that learning (including reading) must be fun. Do not ask the children for the result. You will see the result whenever your daughter ready to show it.

Brgds,
BNB