Advice for you - How to download videos from You Tube (and burn them on DVD)

I think a lot of people do not know that it is possible to download any video from You Tube in order to play them offline on the computer or burn them to CD or DVD to play them on TV screen.
There are many programs that enable it. I use Free Download Manager - you can download it for free here: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/. It can do a lot of things but also download video from video sites, such as Youtube, Google Video, etc. The video can then be saved in native .flv format or converted to one of more popular video formats.
You just put video links in queue and then let the program download them for you. Just make sure you add them in flash video - they will be converted into avi format if you choose to.
Than I usually convert them to DivX format to make sure they will play well in DVD player (my DVD player supports playing video in DivX format - most of the new ones do the same) and than I burn them to DVD.
It is really easy and as I mentioned in another posts - You Tube is such a great resource for almost any kind of video! :yes:
Good luck! :blush:

Thanks, Martina, you’re a real techie! :slight_smile:

Isn’t this illegal, if the material is copyrighted like signing time? I realize we can do this with our own presentations but doing this with copyrighted material is illegal, I think. I would really hate to see the mothers here arrested or fined based on poor advice.

I don’t think it’s any different from recording a TV show onto tape (or Tivo!), or onto a file, and then playing that on your computer or portable player.

I found this and I feel it is fairly accurate, my summary is if you capture directly from the source (ex: signing time has provided the videos) and if you use them for personal use in your home then you are probably legal. If you capture from an illegal source then you have violated copyright laws. I believe the Signing Time Videos I posted came from Signing Time and were not posted illegally, but some of the items on youtube may be so be careful.

This is a particularly grey area and depends very much how you read the law.

Technology and copyright protection laws are not always on speaking terms, so it’s difficult to say whether you can legally download television shows with any sort of finality. Some legal analysts suggest that consumers who download television shows are clearly in violation of existing copyright laws. Others equate the practice with videotaping or digitally recording broadcasts for later personal viewing. Currently, the most common methods used to download television shows are very similar to file-sharing systems already being challenged in courts around the world.

The technology to download television shows definitely exists, and sales of the equipment have not been outlawed. Through a digital recording device marketed as TiVo, users can download television shows onto a recordable DVD format called digital video recorder (DVR). Not only does TiVo allow owners to download television shows; it also allows for the editing of commercials and real-time pausing. The use of DVR disks to download television shows falls under the same protection as using a video cassette recorder (VCR). The user agrees not to distribute the recorded material commercially, and all viewing is to take place in a private home.

With the advent of streaming video and broadband Internet services, however, the legality of downloading television shows has become less clear. Producing a primetime comedy or drama can be a very expensive venture for network executives. Creative artists such as writers, directors and actors must be compensated for their skills. Technical expenses must also be recouped.

Finally, there is the question of copyright, which is designed to establish legal ownership of the show as a creative work. While networks recover many of these expenses through the sale of advertising, sometimes the profit margin is surprisingly thin. When someone decides to download television shows through a file-sharing website, the legal owners of those shows lose some potential revenue.

This is the problem one faces when deciding on the legality or illegality of downloading television shows. It is currently legal to use a digital recording device to download television shows for private viewing. In a copyright law sense, it is illegal to download television shows from any source not affiliated with the legal owners of those shows. One can choose to download television shows offered through authorized services licensed by the owners. Most of the major broadcast networks in the United States now have websites which provide subscribers with downloadable files of selected programs.

* 1 year ago