Abacus: The Art of Calculating with Beads

People have counted, added and subtracted with an abacus since ancient times. The name comes from the Greek word, abax, meaning “board” or “calculating table”, used for doing or teaching arithmetic." Arithmetic includes addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. The abacus can also be used to work with fractions and with finding square and cube roots.

The advantages of its use over pencil or pen arithmetic is time . It is faster than writing down the problem and solving it. When working with the abacus one just needs to be accurate. You leave the memory work to the abacus frame.

For more info, check the folllowing link
http://www.geocities.com/learner_center/abacus.html

:slight_smile:

Abacus is wonderful, and will eventually be part of Little Math.

there are other topics about abacus before too. some have posted great abacus vids on them too. We need to get those into our Vid Gallery!

Dear Rima, KL, & Everyone,

I liked this thread since it teaches us how to make one for the children. I have always wanted to learn how to use an abacus and will finally do so!

Thanks.
Ayesha :slight_smile:

Hi All,
Im Ivy from Malaysia.
I have 2 children who 4 years old and 2 1/2 years old.
Both of them have not join the abacus class.
I wondering will they confuse the maths calculation format comparing abacus and normal maths formula.
What is the suitable age to start the abacus?

I will consider getting my baby involved in this. Thanks!

Dear Spring & Everyone,

To start learning the abacus math, one should be prepared for, at a minimum, basic number counting from 1 to 10 and backward. The earliest recommended age to start the abacus math is normally about 5 years old, but I think that Doman Brillkids can definitely start earlier !!!