aba therapy and Autism

Usually the supervisor of your ABA program will suggest doing a video model of a social skill or daily living skill. Sometimes ABA therapists will act out in the video or get a brother or sister or even the child with autism to perform the behavior on video. Teams may also add an additional of reenacting the behavior after watching it on TV. Practice is essential in an ABA program.

Austism is usually diagnosed from 6 months - 3 years. But saying that your child cannot speak is NOT a sign of autism alone. There are many forms of autism from mild to severe and there are many signs and symptoms.

The broad and general signs are:

Impaired communication
impaired social behaviour
lack of interests
Strange eating pattern
repititive behaviour

These children are less responsive, they try to avoid eye contact and are not social.

sometimes the growth of the child is slow and takes time. Language development might be slower in some.

If there above signs are not present, its highly unlikely that your child has autism
While searching on internet, I have found autism help for parents. May be some one get this helpfull for their babies.

Hey!
This might fit better under the Special Needs board.
We are 2.5 years in a preschool aba program, and in 6 months time will be starting a school age aba program. While it has helped my son a lot, I don’t believe he would be nearly as advanced as he is if we had not supplemented good right brain programming as well.
Its great to see you have the ABELLs available for parents to purchase. I wanted a copy but was told it was super expensive, I’m glad to see you can buy it for under $100 through your site. If my son wasn’t nearly completed all the ABELLs I would be purchasing it from you.

Hi,
I’ve got a question regarding ABA and kids in the spectrum.

My little guy has been reading since before 2 (he’s won the consolation prize in the LR video contest, yay :slight_smile: ). However, I have just started him in the ABA program as I have concerns about lack of eye contact (especially with strangers), and ignoring or disinterest in kids and delay in expressive speech. He ignores strangers even if they call his name and is more interested in objects rather than faces. He is however, amazing at IQ logic games, numbers, music and reading. He can play a few tunes on the keyboard on his own. His conversations are a bit ‘scripted’ though. He is about 2.6 - 2.9 years old now (former 27 weeker preemie)

I had been devastated to learn that he could be on the spectrum (no official diagnosis done, but ABA school could see ‘traits’. ). Knowing importance of early invention, I immediately put him on the waiting list of ABA here.

I have stopped my early learning program on BK with him. From experience, do you think it is okay to continue? I mean, does the rapid flashing and and computer/tv use worsen it, you think? Should I continue EK flashcards with him? He has an excellent memory, and almost no behavourial problem (except obsession with water things)

Thanks in advance!

Also, I’m pretty much quite alone and lost in fighting this battle with autism.

Will ABA be enough, or is speech therapy and occupational therapy necessary too? What are the examples for things done in speech and occupational therapy that ISN’T covered by ABA?

He is already on the GFCF diet (almost 3 weeks now), but I do not see major changes except he is boycotting rice milk now and eating more solids. Probably because he does not have much behaviourial problem to start with.

Thanks!

Sunshine Baby-

I do not have much advice for you, but have you heard of the book “What to do about your brain injured child?” by Glenn Doman? Might be worth looking into for you.

-TmT

Your ABA consultant should be able to tell you if they need speech or OT. In our experience, Speech and OT consult to the ABA team and they come up with a plan that is best for your child.
My son was diagnosised with autistic tendencies, but they had to give him the full ASD diagnosis in order for us to qualify for services. ABA is amazing, but while it has helped heal my son, it was one of many things I did for him.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks TMT, for referring me and reminding me of this book. I had read the other Doman books (when he was younger), but not this. Will try to get a copy soon.

Waterdreamer, thanks! You and your son have always inspired me. Will ask my ABA consultant about the other therapies. We are still at the first 2 weeks. Today was our 2nd workshop; they had been really amazed that he can read. From what I can tell today, the ABA programs will be focusing on trying to get him to verbalize his requests spontaneously, starting with 1 word requests.

At the moment, he is starting with 15 hours per week. Sadly here, we do not have public funding for this program. So, it wasn’t necessary for me to get an official assessment from the dev. paediatrician. (She refused to diagnose him with it) However, from observing him with other kids at a typical playschool, I could tell he is a bit ‘off’ in social development, if you know what i mean. Hopefully, 3 hours a day of therapy at the center is enough.

In our state, ABA is not covered. We use rethink autism. My little man was diagnosed but the suggested 15 hours a week is not going to happen for us at 65.00 an hour unless it is home based therapy…

sunshinebaby,

If the GFCF diet doesn’t do enough, don’t give up. Have your child tested for other food sensitivities. It is very likely (in my opinion) that, if the GFCF diet doesn’t do much, it is still necessary. If it doesn’t work it is probably that it just isn’t enough, more likely that than that your child isn’t gluten or casein sensitive. So don’t give up. Lots of little things can add up to significant improvement even when one of them by itself doesn’t.