A Special needs user

Hello everyone. My name is Diane and I have a seven year old with Down Syndrome. We also homeschool and I have been using a combination of the book Teaching Children with Down Syndrome to Read and Picture Me Reading. It has been challenging due to Ellie’s significant speech apraxia. I am now looking into the Brillkids reading to see if she responds better to it. If anyone if in a similar situation and can give some words of wisdom I would certainly appreciate it!! Thanks.

Hello & Welcome! Did you download the free trial of Little Reader yet? How did she respond? Some of the parents of children with special needs find the book “What to do about your brain injured child” helpful, if you have not already heard of it.

Let us know how things are going!

Hi Diane. I’m in exactly the same boat. I have a 7yo boy with DS. We have tried several reading programs, with not much success. My son is so bright and seems so ready, but he gets bored easily and has some difficulty staying focused. I have heard great things about BrillKids (seems more interesting, interactive, and flexible), but mostly from parents with younger children. I’m wondering if there are those out there with older special needs children who have used it with success. I wish you great success! Keep us posted on how it goes. Donna

Welcome! I have been using this program with my 4 year old who has DS for a few years now. I love it & it is a huge part of her success. She is reading books now, & was recently tested at the 2nd grade level.

My recommendation for a good first Glenn Doman book is How to Multiply Your Baby’s intelligence. It gives an overview & tells how to get started with a reading, math, Encyclopedic Knowledge program, etc. The Physically Superb book would be my 2nd choice.

The What To Do book that Teaching My Toddlers recommended is very often recommended, but to be honest it drove me nuts! It never answers the question “What To Do” & is more of a history of the institutes. At the time, I was really needing an action plan - not a history lesson.