A Mother's Reasons For Choosing Montessori

A Mother’s Reasons For Choosing Montessori
by Deanna Mascle

This is the time of year when the parents of many preschoolers must decide where their child will attend school in the fall. I wanted to take this opportunity to share my experience with Montessori preschool education.

My son is completing his second year in a Montessori preschool program and attended from the age of 3 1/2.

I chose Montessori for several reasons. First, my son is a bright, inquisitive child who already had a sound grounding in recognition of his alphabet, numbers, shapes, and colors before he started preschool. I was worried that he might be bored in a more traditional preschool. Montessori’s highly individual program means he is always challenged and interested. In addition, my son is a very active child and the Montessori program gives him lots of opportunity for free play outdoors and indoors as well as more freedom to move about, stand, or even lie on the ground while working on his lessons in the classroom.

In my opinion one of Montessori’s great advantages is the fact that the child drives the educational experience. My son’s interests and abilities determine his unique educational program and so his lessons may overlap but are not identical to those of his classmates. This makes him an eager and motivated student.

The education program offered by Montessori also includes many advantages. My son’s experience includes the arts, math and science, language, and life skills. He regularly impresses our friends and family with his knowledge of science, sign language, and other areas not traditionally included in preschool programs.

I also like the fact that his classroom includes a wider range of ages so he has friends who are both younger and older. In addition, he really enjoys having regular contact with the elementary-age students who serve as both role models and friends.

Finally, as a parent, I cannot stress enough the benefits that a program like Montessori offers in terms of life skills. All students are expected to be responsible for their own personal hygiene as well as maintenance and cleaning of the classroom and food areas. While support is offered by adults and older children, even young children can learn to clean up after themselves. It has certainly had an impact on my son’s willingness and ability to help out at home.

Recently I compared preschool experiences with a friend whose child is completing her second year in what most people consider to be the top preschool program in our community. We compared our children’s skills to the checklist provided by our school district of 60 skills (including cognitive skills, listening and sequencing skills, language skills, fine motor skills, gross motor skills, and social/emotional skills) that will help children transition into kindergarten. My son has all 60 skills while her daughter lacked skills in each of the areas.

I recommend every parent at least consider Montessori for their child as it is a child-centered learning approach that can provide an excellent foundation for a child’s future growth and learning.

I am glad I came across this post :slight_smile: I was talking to my twin earlier and she was telling me about a Montessori school in the area she lives in. I told her the little bit I heard about it and encouraged her to look more into it. Thanks a lot and I will be sure to tell her about this post next time we speak!!

My son is only 8 months old but I already know I want to put him in a Montessori school. I just dont know any around where I live tho. And who knows if I’ll still be living in westchester county the way they are taxing us and cutting star rebate checks.

Thank you for this article.

I have had Sophia enrolled in The Hills Montessori School since she was 3 weeks old. I first saw the school when I was in te early stages of pregnancy and feel in love with it. I can’t wait for Sophia to start there.

It’s all nice except that I don’t think I can afford to send my baby to a Monterssori preschool. In NZ, it costs nearly 1800 for 10 weeks term half day or $3600 for full day 5 days a week for 10 weeks term. It also only takes 2+. Imagine how much for a year. And I have not won a lotto. :frowning:

How do you incorporate this type of early learning with pre-school? My daughter is almost 5 and I’m just getting started with her and feeling like I’ve missed the boat…does Montessori teach reading and if so in what way? thanks for the input :slight_smile:

JCS,

I was wondering the same thing. This book just showed up in my recommended list from Amazon.com - Teaching Montessori in the Home: Pre-School Years: The Pre-School Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock (Author), Lee Havis (Author). It has received good reviews. I was thinking about purchasing it.

Unfortunately, I learned that anyone can buy the “Montessori” name. Some Montessoris are certified and others aren’t.

I went to one when I was looking for preschool for my son and they brought fast food in for the two year olds for lunch. Every parent has a right to feed their kids what they want, but does anyone really think fast food for 2 years at school is a good idea?

On the playground they had a cooler of lemonade for the kids if they got thirsty. I love the cooler idea, but lemonade? Why not water. Who knows how much lemonade kids would drink if they had free access to it.

The teacher for the two year old program was bilingual. I really liked this because I want my son to learn Spanish. The problem was that her English was not good at all. I could barely understand her. I don’t want my son learning English from someone who doesn’t speak it well.

I asked about moving him up if he was advanced and they said if there was space he would eventually be moved up, but not that quickly.

I couldn’t get out of there fast enough.

I know there are some great Montessoris out there but please make sure yours is a certified Montessori because it really makes a difference.

Thanks for that Cassidy,

I forgot to mention that in my post.

Everyone Cassidy is right when looking at Montessori schools you must do your research as Maria Montessori never trademarked her name.

In Australia the website is

www.montessori.org.au

wherever you are, you must check the montessori school before you get your in it. I was educated in a Montessori school from prek and all through elementary. As a student I highly recommend it. You do get to learn quicker. After that I was homeschooled and never had trouble in self study or distance education programs. I also did not have any trouble in University.
My nephew just finished his 4 years of kindergarten school in a Montessori school. He can add, subtract, multiply and divide, including fractions. He know all the continents with all their capitals and flags, and can find them perfectly well in the map. He can also speak Spanish and English well. He can sure read… etc…

There are many Montessori schools. Something to check is the following:
that all the teachers are trained
That the groups are fairly small
That the classrooms have a variety of materials

I also recommend that you talk with the principal. AND that you visit the school in a regular class day.
Check how the teachers treat the students… it is easy that a student can be wasting time if there are too many students (however it will never be as it would be in a regular school)
Check how the teachers present new material
and check the “environment”.
Montessori schools in contrast to regular schools do not depend on teacher and student only. When one of this is missing, there is chaos in teh classroom. however montessori schools depend on three things, students, teacher AND environment (clasroom) check this. The order, the material, the carpets, the quietness, the flexibility etc…

Hope this gives you an idea… though I can add much more

About Elizabeth Hainstocks book Montessori in the Home. It is a very good book, that you will enjoy doing in your home. Montessori school does not have to be in a school, atlhough that book goes as far as what we would call 2° kindergarten (in Latinamerica), or in the US pre-k 4-5 yrs old. In a school, specially in the math training, they go much farther than what the book explains.