A Beka Free Shipping

A Beka is having a special where they offer free shipping on orders over $50 during the month of April. They have very nice books. We have been using them since the beginning of our homeschool journey. You don’t need a code, just order $50 of books and the shipping is free. I just ordered the cursive writing books for my 4 year old, and some math books. www.abeka.com

Thanks for posting this, I’ll be ordering some books now so it’s good to know about the specials!

thanks for letting us know.

We received our order today. I got Math for Kindergarten and First grade and 2 cursive books for my 4 year old. I wasn’t sure where she is with Math so I thought we can use the K book as a review before we start grade 1. So far so good. We did not start cursive yet. She has beautiful handwriting, so I am curious to see how she does with cursive.

Hi Krista,

Are you familiar with the Handwriting Without Tears program? Would you recommend A Beka over HWT for teaching handwriting? How did you train your daughter to have such beautiful handwriting?

Thanks!

Sorry, Aangeles, I am not familiar with that program. I have heard of it but never seen it. The A Beka books are just workbooks to practice cursive writing. I think her beautiful writing is due to two things. First, she has been using a pen since she was a year old. She would sit by my desk and make the most perfect little squiggles. She didn’t do big scribbles but these carefully designed figures. I have read that we should allow babies to write from young. I think that is a big part. Secondly, because she was doing that from small, I think she developed that motor skill to write early. She is by far my youngest and neatest child when it comes to handwriting. We do copywork regularly where I write stuff and she copies it. It m ay also be partly a gift or talent that she has.

Are you using Handwriting Without Tears and if so, what do you have to say about it? I would love to hear your thoughts.

I’m using Handwriting With Tears right now. My plan is to quickly work through K-Gr2 Printing, then try out Abeka Cursive K5. I was real real real struggling with what to do with my son. His writing was poor. But I was assured it was common with boys. Then I found out my step-daughters private school(which in my option is a excellent school) quickly moves them through printing and moves them to cursive in late Kindergarten or Early Grade 1. So I’ve decided to follow suit. We are almost done HWT K, and will be starting HWT Gr1 in May. My goal is to have him starting cursive Abeka and maybe even cursive HWT by the end of the year latest. I was told not to worry about cursive because a lot of schools are not even teaching it, but I believe cursive is a language on its own and it it very important to me that my son understand it. I will admit that I mostly print, but I know I could handwrite if I needed to and I can read it as well.

Waterdreamer, what is HWT like?

We like it a lot. I find the pages are kid friendly without being distracting. I actually remember doing it in school when I was a kid. THe reason I really like it is because the pages are perfect for my son’s attention span. I’m not crazy how they make a few of the letters like the capital G, however I have allowed my son to adapt it to his liking and it has worked great. I also don’t like how they make their numbers, but I think we will just skip those copy of pages.