8 year old with a 5 year reading level

My friend just asked for help with her 8 year old son, whose reading at a 5 year level. Could Little Reader be good for him? What else would you suggest. I wondered about wink also.
Thank you,
JJ

I think using whole word method and phonics combined is the best option. I reckon having a lot of readers that involve repetion like Dr suess, and using starfall, clicknread, and whatever can be found on the internet free or cheaply is great. I believe that coming at them from all angles (internet, easy books, learn-to-read dvds, etc) would cause things to “click” quicker. For the light to go on, and reading to suddenly go from having minimal understanding to really taking off. And finding a book series that captures his imagination and interest would really help. My son wasnt interested in reading, so wasnt the best reader in his class, though not the worst. Then he started a Goosebump book, and read the series, and anything remotely Goosebump became an obsession. Also Simpsons comics were something he really liked. Comics are great as they’re like picture books with harder words and themes for older kids…

It’s impossible to advise a person without knowing more background. But generally speaking, a proper synthetic phonics program rarely fails and is often used for remedial work.