8 month old early reading success (well, word identification)

I just want to share my excitement with people who will understand…my 8, almost 9 month old, can identify many of the words from YBCR when given a choice of two. He LOVES climbing the stairs, so today I put two words on the next step and asked him to “show me CLAP” etc. He correctly pointed to or gave me 9 words. He got 3 wrong - not bad for a little baby. I have been showing him YBCR and LR 4-5 times a week since he was 3 months old. He adores all things EL.

Now that I’ve had a taste of him showing me what he knows I can’t wait till he starts signing! :nowink:

Hi, that is really great. My daughter is 5 months old and I was wondering if that was too early to start, but sounds like its not! Btw, what does YBCR stand for?
Janine

That’s great, Seastar!!! It’s beautiful watching your own kid flourish. Take video! They grow up so fast! :slight_smile:

JMG, YBCR stands for “Your Baby Can Read” by Robert Titzer, Ph.D.

WOW! Thats awesome! Makes it all worth it!
I know I get excited when my almost 11 month old looks at the right word on LR games too.

Is that her first language? It’s awesome!

JMG Doman says that you should begin right after birth, so it’s time :slight_smile:

congrats. I felt the same way too when my baby at around 8 months can point the words mommy, daddy, grandpa and grandma when shown two or three cards. I never regretted my decision to buy LR and following DOMAN’s style of showing flashcards when my baby was just 5 months.

I show the words to all my kids, 7 months one included. But though I try to do it many times everyday, it’s usually 4-6 times max :frowning: Well at least we are doing math end EK, but not all are equally interested.
I hope the youngest will profit greatly :slight_smile: