5 year old recommendations

Hello,

I am a bit overwhelmed here. Everytime I come here I feel I am so behind and get lost as to what program to do etc. You all seem to have it together. I just need some help. My 5 year old is doing 1st grade curriculum. I homeschool but I need help. What programs do you suggest for him? I want him to get ahead. He knows basic math but i want him to learn math facts better. He knows to read and write but he needs to move on from basics. Can you please recommend any programs or curriculum that he will enjoy doing. I have LR and LM and do mostly worksheets. Also, for physical activity he does soccer. Anything you can recommend would be most helpful. IF there are links that I missed that discuss this already, please give me the link.

Thanks!

Hi Zamommy4,

Welcome to the forum. It’s normal to feel overwhelmed as there are so many options on the market to teach our LOs. I’ve been here on the forum for about 4 years and I still feel the same. LOL

For math, I would suggest you read math and toddler threads. The most popular programs are RightStart Math, Singapore Math, MEP (free), Life of Fred, etc. I would recommend you visit their websites and see which one fits your learning style the best. You can also a combination of programs to get the most of them.

For math facts, you may just play games (as in RightStart math), you can also use the SpalshMath app, Gigglemath.com material, or 2 plus 2 is not 5 book.

For handwriting I highly recommend handwriting without tears as it is a multisensory program.

For reading, we LOVE readingbear.org
For more advanced reading instructions, you can use the last chapters of Ordinary Parent Guide here: http://peacehillpress.com/the-ordinary-parents-guide-reading/
We have the electronic version and I like the fact that I can zoom in on one word or syllable at a time on the iPad so they look like flashcard.