3 year old with brain cancer

Hi All,

I’m writing because a friend of mine has a son going through brain cancer treatment. Apparently, there is significant brain damage that has occurred, but as to how significant, I do not know. He is in his final round of chemotherapy.

Obviously, my friend is very fragile - watching your one and only baby go through something like this has understandibly affected her significantly. We’ve done all the friend things like make meals, encouraging emails, etc but I’m wondering if/how you would approach telling her about some of the cognitive therapies you have experience with or have heard about. I sure would like to help his little brain achieve what it is still capable of, but I also do not want to be the woman who really can’t relate that says “You should…” with authority that falls flat.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Anonymously mail a copy of Domans “what to do with your brain injured child” ? She may not be ready to read it but she won’t throw it out and it will be in the house when she is ready for it. I don’t know if this is good advice or not, I haven’t been in this situation before.

If you are unsure how to say it to her face why not write her a letter. In the letter you can explain how you want to help her and it also allows you to read and re-write anything you are not happy with. You can give her the letter and if she wants your help she can respond if she wants to. That we you have opened the door and she knows that you are there to point her in the ‘right direction’ when she is ready to take up the offer.