18 Month old looks away from LM - advice?

Hi,

I’m new to this teaching babies thing… I just got the trial of LR and LM last week and purchased the basic version of each last night. My 18 month old DD has been enjoying it pretty well, but I have one concern that I was hoping someone could offer advice for: She was really enjoying math for the first like 5 days or so - looking really excited to see the numbers, saying “yay!” every time it was over, and asking for it again, but after those first 5 days she has started looking really bored and looking away. I read the Doman books and my own conclusion would simply be that she is bored, but I am not sure how to go extra fast with LM except to simply skip lessons. Anyone have any ideas for me of how to keep her attention?

Thanks,
Melissa

I usually launch both LR and LM, I play LM first (‘we’ll do some maths and then some reading’ I tell her).

If she’s not watching, I telll her ‘look here’s an fish’ or whatever is on screen. It’s fine if she doesn’t look at the equations because she’s still learning by listening.

I alternate breaks and then having LM played everyday, as part of a routine.

I have this problem with my 15-month old. She has glue ears so her hearing isn’t perfect, and her eustachian tubes clog up and unclog over and over, so her hearing improves and then gets worse. IShe turns her head away from the screen. I wonder if she’s pointing her EAR toward the screen. It’s frustrating, so I try to do more tactile things with her. She just doesnt seem to be a SIGHT person. Not a visual learner. She prefers LM to LR, strangely enough! So hands on flashcards, books, manipulatives of all kinds may work better, and come back to LR and LM and any on-screen educational methods here and there to see when her interest in on-screen methods has occurred. I’ve just tried YBCR on the TV screen for my little one, and she did sit on her little couch with her doll for a while, but really doesnt sit still long. She just isn’t a sit still kind of kid. And her doll was the focus of her attention. It’s disappointing, but each kid is different and they cant be forced into a mold. I did have an idea of doing what Dr Titzer did with Aleka in YBCR when she was a baby, and video-taping myself and other family members holding up flashcards, with LM and LR featuring as well, and hoping she would sit and watch such a video…that is my next project.