Would you prefer teaching British English than US English?

You never know when having an ear that understands different accents will come in handy. What if your child works overseas, maybe as a foreign ambassador? In Australia we are plagued with phone callers at 6pm telemarketing us, who are usually from New Delhi in India!! And most people complain they cant understand a word they’re saying, so are rude to them and hang up. But now many of our companies out-source their phone answer people to India, so we may ring up our phone or utilities company and have an Indian person on the other end. Tough if you cant understand them!!

I find British English (BE) is spoken clearer and therefore much easier to understand if you learn it as a foreign language, at least for me. But maybe that’s because I went to school in Germany and here they teach Britsh English only.

However, I’d like to teach both AE and BE (later on, because I have not done anything in this direction), thus my daughter would be able to understand AE easier than I do now :smiley: . And it is easier to find AE stuffs on internet/movies etc.

To sum up, a YES for BE from my side.

i will be showing my son US english because i don’t hear any british english except when my cousin’s girl friend vist us from England. we understand her quiet well.

I’m not much concerned about accent, but a British spelling option would be nice - it’s what we use here in Canada.

In reference to KL’s query re:british english as well as american english, I would much prefer a british version, as we live in the UK, and I’d like my baby to recognise british spellings. However, it is not too much of a problem having the american version, and it is nice to have different accents - i agree with some of the previous posting re wanting my baby to be able to recognise different accents…

Thanks everyone for all your input!

Looks like we’ll have a British version some time!

In a nutshell, we should follow what’s commonly accepted/used in our country. If I were to be in the US, I’ll go for American english as it just doesn’t make much sense to teach my baby British english. As for me, my country uses British english, hence British english will be my choice. Imagine teaching your baby “mommy” and “color” only to confuse her at school with “mummy” and “colour”. This is unnecessary confusion.

It would be great to have the option of choosing to teach British english. I live in Ireland and I am very interested in Brillkids but I’m not too sure about using the American version because I would be teaching spelling that is not correct for my country. So, to make your product work better internationally, different versions make sense.

What gets me isn’t the spelling, it’s when meanings truly get confused between the two main Englishes (UK and US). The whole Jam vs Jelly vs Jello debate comes to mind…

In my opinion, English is English however it’s spelled, but I would still prefer UK English if only because I feel the Americans tend to limit their vocabulary and shorten/make up words when there are plentiful synonyms available. The British are known for their eloquence and it can’t hurt to give my baby a wider vocabulary :slight_smile:

Hi anyone knows anything about about the british versions?
In Europe we are learning British English so this version would be great.

yes BE here too pls. we’re in the uk, just got to the ‘pants’ bit on LR and thought how will LO work out difference. pants are underwear here. I suppose he’ll just get it in time.

I AM QUITE HAPPY TEACHING BOTH, AS I HAD MY HIGHER EDUCTION IN BOTH UK AND THE USA. MY FIRST TWO DEGREES WERE FROM UK AND MY MASTERS WERE FROM THE US.

yes please…I think this option wouldbe very benefical…especially with words like “pants” v “trousers” etc.

look forward to seeing this soon

Really appreciate all you guys are doing you are an inspiration to me…just hope my little one benefits from what little I am able to do

Reshmi

You should offer both options as I’m sure that the parents who buys LR are not all from the US or Canada. And most certainly the parents from UK and Europe will probably appreciate it, since there’s so many words and spellings that are different from BE and AE, for instance ‘aubergine’ and ‘eggplant’, ‘corriander’ and ‘cilantro’, ‘courgette’ and ‘squash’, ‘bag’ and ‘purse’, ‘trousers’ and ‘pants’…

Hi, I’d like to add my vote for a British English version as well please.
I’m from the UK and it would make things a lot clearer with less potential for confusion - the pants (trousers) versus pants (underwear) issue definitely could be a problem if these were mistaken in England!!!
I think that having this would be important for both spelling and, even more importantly, when teaching a child to read, it is helpful to include words that mean something to them. So learning words that we just don’t say at home makes the learning less relevant and less likely to keep the child’s interest.
Because of this I tend to take out the very ‘Americanised’ words and record my own versions, but this is quite time consuming and would be great to have a standard British version.
Thanks!

I have to disagree trinity papa in my case. While teaching my grandson to read i am also teaching him language since it is not his native language. So it is important the accent he is listening. I use to buy books that came with CD son that after reading to him (maybe my accent is not so american less english) I play the CD so that he can listen other’s (real amercian) accent.

I agree with you in that accents are different throughout the world and it is not only an american-british issue. But as you said, the Australian accent is… (horrible??? no ofense). I have cousins living in Australia and they had real problems at first in trying to understand what australians where saying.
I consider american and british accents are most representative and very good.

Finally i agree 100% in bringing kids that can understand different accents.
So as my conclusion it is great to have a British curriculum set up and you decide which one to use or both one after the other.

I would like that. Maybe those of you that speak both american and British English can make :
a) a list of words spelled different but pronounced almost the same
b) a list of words that mean the same but are different (similiar to synonyms)
c) a list of words that sound the same but have different meaning.

Can they be fourn anywhere on the internet?