We Can Do by Moshe Kai with guest Robert Levy discussing Saxon Math.

PokerDad,

Did you see Levy’s review of ‘Every Day Math’ at http://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Mathematics-Student-Math-Journal/dp/1570398313/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

and the link he pasted in the comments to his review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1qee-bTZI

I watched the video and was completely shocked. Is this what most kids pass through in schools in the name of math discovery? Why not just teach the child standard and well-known algorithms? This video has reinforced my desire to be my kids’ first, best, and continual teacher, even if they enroll in school. Seriously. Lest schools ruin them.

I now understand Levy’s passion: see his comments to the review he posted here http://www.amazon.com/review/R1M1KSMPGFW2G2/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=093979845X&nodeID=283155&store=books#wasThisHelpful.

An excerpt of his comments on that page:
``As to the math wars, I’m with you. As in any political debate, I look at who is lining up on what side. In the case of math, it was conservatives arguing for traditional methods and liberals wanting to do all the whacked-out stuff. At that point I try to make sense of it - and it was easy, the liberals were out to lunch. Over the years, I’ve tried to make sense out of why they would do so much damage and the only thing that I can come up with (after having read it from them) is that the goal is “equity” among races and genders (i.e., traditional math is biased towards white males - which makes zero sense - but that is what they believe - hence you change it). But whatever the reason, I knew what was going on since college from Dr. Sowell and therefore I knew that no public school would EVER get a chance to ruin my kid’s life (and that was long before he was born). That was my motivation with Saxon - I knew that I could keep him a minimum of 2 years ahead of grade level (even though he wound up 8 years ahead at one point), and that no one, no school, or no curriculum, could ever mess him up. And, of course, it worked.’’

Thanks for the post. I’ve seen the video, and yes… she’s describing a discovery method called TERC. I wanted to educate myself on this after my wife told me that they teach “investigations” curriculum at her school. There’s been a spat of college students that have a very low grasp of numbers, and this was one way to help solve the problem. If you ask me, it will make things worse. I have a saying… it’s like trying to focus on the wet instead of just focusing on the water; if you have water, you’ll have the wet. In other words, if you work at math like Moshe Kai or David Levy, you’ll have the number sense no problem.

I’m with Mr. Levy and the plethora of accomplished physics doctorates and mathematicians on this one - these methods can severely disable or cripple your child’s progress in math.

It’s not just math though. After going through Richard Feynman’s book, it was clear to me that people that don’t know very much are the ones making the decisions regarding education. They might study how to educate, but few making decisions are accomplished enough in the respective field to make a quality decisions (ie, good textbooks)… I imagine the process hasn’t improved much in the last 20 years either.

The fact that these two kids could gain such a massive edge in mathematics says just as much about our education system as it does about the kids and their hard work.

Just came across another article - also young college students who are good at math, from the same family: http://milwaukeecourieronline.com/index.php/2012/05/03/prodigy-is-youngest-to-receive-masters-degree-from-oxford/

“Every child is a genius,” says father Imafidon in a British interview. “Once you identify the talent of a child and put them in an environment that will nurture that talent, then the sky is the limit. Look at Tiger Woods or the Williams sisters, they were nurtured. You can never rule anything out with our children.”

Gosh! LDSMom, thank you so much for sharing that link. It’s one of the most inspiring articles I’ve read in a long time. Hurray for early learning! And hurray for the ‘growth mindsets’ of the kid’s parents! Other parents would have claimed their kids were born ‘gifted’ with ‘math genes’, that they had never taught their child, they simply woke up one morning to see the child solving calculus!

Hear this growth mindset response of the father:
“Every child is a genius,” says father Imafidon in a British interview. “Once you identify the talent of a child and put them in an environment that will nurture that talent, then the sky is the limit. Look at Tiger Woods or the Williams sisters, they were nurtured. You can never rule anything out with our children.”

The exact thing Doman says all the time!!!

It is an inspiring article! I love too how they say that the parents are not experts in math.

It does seem like these kids are in college early based on their Math ability. I wonder if there are many early college goers who get there through language arts. I have been hearing a lot lately from my friends “your son will be fine in Kindergarten if he’s already reading, they will just give him books at his level and in a few years all of the kids will catch up anyway” - The first part of this statement may be true, and the second part debatable (and perhaps hasn’t been thoroughly studied, give it another 5-10 yrs when this new age of early learners get older).

Early college entrance was never my intention, hadn’t thought about it until reading through these articles and seeing that common theme. It’s making me reevaluate my “plan” if you will. I’ve got great schools picked out until middle school, and then what? let him decide, encourage early college, or will we get to that point far earlier as these children have. I wish I could talk one on one with one of these parents who have been there to hear how they weighed their decision and the experiences they’ve had.

It also drives home the point to me that while reading is extremely important, we shouldn’t forget about Math! The more I read about these kids area of study, the more important I realize Math is in certain degrees that may interest my child. Just because I don’t use much Math, doesn’t mean that he won’t.

When I learned how to read, I loved it and read all of the time, quickly becoming a great reader far above my class level - this had no impact on jumping me up a grade, I simply read well and was always comfortable reading out loud and could sit and read for hours and hours. Perhaps it’s my perception, but with Math, unless a child is extremely interested and finds ways to study on their own, they will pretty much always be near grade level unless encouraged or taught from a parent or older siblings advanced levels of math, or home schooled where they can move ahead at their own pace.

I think for my own part we will do some math as part of our after schooling, not really with the intent of early college (if it happens, it happens) but more so to continue my child’s interest in it and keep him interested in learning.

Sorry for the long rambling, just wanted to get some of my thoughts out there.

Thanks! I appreciated the article. Math and IT… the trend continues. Also…

and at 12, she received an Oxford Scholarship. At the age of 13 in 2003, she was granted a British scholarship to study Mathematics at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland.

like I said, stellar grades when aged 17 or 18 is one thing, but when it’s 12: discounted education.

This article is very inspiring. It is definitely comforting to know the parents didn’t have a degree in mathematics yet raised children with strong mathematical abilities. Coming from the low social economic end of the spectrum, it is often my fear that my limited education (first generation graduate of college) will also limit my children. My question is how did the parents accomplish this without homeschooling as noted in the article? What techniques are they using to gain such success especially when the parents see every child as a genius?? The information so far on the family is very limited. Still searching…

@ Pokerdad,

I liked your assessment of how going to college early does leave a child at a disadvantage, because they really are still kids. Yet, it does provide the opportunity for scholarships.

I do want to point out that my friend, who is mortified that I am giving formal lessons to my 2 year old, has produced 3 - that is right 3 - National Merit Scholars. With a grand total of $320,000 in paid college funding to excellent schools. One went to Duke, one went to University of Dallas,. The last one just started there. Of the two oldest, one is getting his Doctorate at Duke and the other is getting his from somewhere else. They have yet to fork over money for college other than for living expenses. Her last son entered college at 19. She held him back in 7th grade so that he could mature and would have a better chance when taking the PSAT exam. Her secret, she believes, is that they followed a classical approach - not necessarily an accelerated one which you will find in many classical curricula. They worked on all things to mastery - be that greek, latin, math or whatever, they schooled year round (because she homeschooled all 8 of her children), and getting them good teachers when the material was above her. She has used ScholarsOnline, Regina Coeli, and the Circe Institute. So it is possible without early entrance. I might add that part of their education was excellence in all things. Her children play piano and compete at the state level. Why? Every educated person should know music - it brings joy to the soul. They run in track and swim. Why? Because a human is not just a mind.

@ cokers4life - this should be an encouragment to you as she also does not have a college degree but she has labored many long hours to learn Latin and Greek. And her children know that excellence is not an option. I know that she hasn’t slept much in the last 26 years. She was busy studying.

Ciao,

Thanks for the invite - yes, I am the man of those Amazon reviews, and David is my kid. My history goes a long way, but to sum it up, I ended up barely doing well (fine now, though, as I’m considered the wiring expert on the International Space Station, something I don’t deny), but no thanks to a system designed to fail me. I swore that would never happen to my kids. I ended up with one kid (wife couldn’t have more due to complications). He’s now at Texas A&M and (hopefully) finishing his Master’s in Mechanical Engineering. He turned 18 earlier this year.

I have to agree, my quote was good and I even got a good laugh reading it again: “we learned the great names in math, like Pythagoras, Newton, and Euler, who had made great discoveries contributing to the field. I noted that my kid’s name was not among them, so I decided that it was probably best to leave the discoveries to those people”.

Of all the postings that I’ve read (so far), none said that I was out to lunch, which is usually the case, particularly when I go political, as I don’t think it can be separated from everything else going on. So thanks, it would be nice if everyone had the same goals for this country and its kids, but, with Everyday Math and Sight Words, I simply don’t think that’s the case.

By the way, he’s not all brain. He’s done everything short of rebuilding an engine and trans in our cars (I kept a couple of old cars for him to learn on), and that includes changing a clutch last summer. I also made him him help me build a shed in our backyard, using exactly the same framing methods (for hurricane resistance) that we built our house and detached garage with. He hasn’t had a free ride, but when I asked him to rate his childhood from 1 to 10, he gave it an 11, so I was very, very, happy (and surprised). He’s seen his friends struggle and is very happy to have that part of the learning curve behind him.

Robert,

Thanks for joining us! I’m thinking this might need to be split off to a new thread…

I’m just wondering if you have give us a brief ( lol ) sketch of what you did with David. Betting there willbe a bunch of questions that follow. Don’t mean to hijack the thread, PokerDad, just thought since someone mentioned inviting him over I would.

You’re welcome. Basically, I heard an infomercial for the Phonics Game when I was driving through Central California in late 1997. They used an example of sounding out the word “cat”, as in kaa-aaa-taa. I said, jeeze, I can do that, I don’t need their product. I used a marker board, started with that word. In 6 weeks, at age 3.5, he read his first book (Walter and the Tug Boat), with help, of course, but he learned every word in it. A couple of months after he was four (not 3, as someone here stated), I had him read Hamlet. I made him nail the punctuation and play-act the parts, such as being a female when Ophelia spoke. It was fun, and once through that, I was done teaching him reading. He wound up being a great writer and great speller, which I have to attribute to phonics at a young age. So that was reading.

Math started as me giving him “number sheets” as I had nothing else that I liked. Every book that I saw was “fun” for the kids. I didn’t want that, I just wanted math. Then he’s in second grade at Christian school (age 6, a year ahead), and the teacher has a 4th grade daughter. My wife asks her for some stuff to challenge him. She gives us zerox’s of problems (from her daughter’s book) that were absolutely remarkable. Then I figure out that they were from Saxon 5/4. My life got a million times easier, as John Saxon did all the work of figuring out what he needed to learn. He then raced through those books, especially the early books. The work did get harder and take longer later on, so the pace slowed. We also built a house at that time, and ran the project, so that slowed us down. It was all good for him - he was simply too far ahead, so it was good that he slowed a bit (maybe a year or two). As it was, he still took his SAT at Age 10.5 and got an 1190 in the old system (680 Math, 510 Verbal). With those scores, the community college (San Jacinto) let him enroll (he was 11 by then) and he first took Calc-1, then the AP Exam (just to be able to prove to doubter that he knew his stuff, should there be any), and then two classes, and then he finally dropped out of the Christian school and went full time to San Jac. After his Associate in Math, it was University of Houston, where he got has BS in Math, and BS in Mechanical Engineering. Now he’s (hopefully) in his last semester at A&M and will be done with school for now with a Master’s in ME (no PhD at this point, just a good job). I’m happy with that path.

Feel free to copy my posts if you want to start a new thread.

Thank you so much for your contribution. I too like math to be math and not full of games too. My son is only 2 so we do use a lot of manipulatives for now. But I think I will be phasing them out in a few years.

My son is currently a sight word reader, however. I completely agree with the value of phonics. He just isn’t getting the blending yet. He can sound out a few words with great difficulty. I know that this is something that will click in time.

I love how you accelerated your son’s education by enrolling him into a community college at a young age. I think your method was brilliant. It is something to consider in 10 or so years. I can still teach him content and how to learn, but he may as well be going on and trying for a higher education diploma on the side if he is able.

I finally have a moment to go eat a sandwich and this tread goes EPIC

Great to have Robert here to answer questions…

As it was, he still took his SAT at Age 10.5 and got an 1190 in the old system

That easily puts me to shame (when I was several years older), and I was fairly strong in math relative to my peers. I have to go off to bed, but will come back soon with some questions.
Thank you Mr. Levy for your time… you’re sort of legend around here, and it’s pure pleasure reading your writing!

Here were a few questions off the top of my head… I’m confident that I could triple the list - but there are quite a few questions already, so here we go:

Robert,

Do you believe any parent can accelerate their child in mathematics, or does the parent need to know advanced mathematics themself before imparting to the child?

Did you use Saxson all the way up through Calc 1? If not, at what point did you change texts? Would it be too difficult to give a list of the texts that you used up through Calc 1? I ask because I’ve already purchased a handful of older 90s Saxson texts and if you feel the higher mathematics Saxson texts are still the best, then I’ll get those too (such as Algebra, Trig, Calc)

Did you do after school teaching, or did you at some point do exclusive home schooling?

Could you walk us through a typical day (when you were really hitting the math hard)?

You mentioned David taking the SAT at 10 years old. Was this due to a requirement at the junior college or for some other purpose (such as taking the AP exam just to prove it)?

Along those lines, when did you approach the junior college for admittance and how simple or smooth was the process?

Stated another way, what sort of obstacles, if any, did you encounter in attempting to get David admitted to the junior college?

Does David feel as though he missed out socially by attending college early? If not, how was he able to satisfy the urge to enjoy friendships that typically blossom “in school”?

I met my wife in college. I know many others that also met their spouse in college. I’m by no means saying that college is the only place to meet someone, but I will say that I had spent a few years in the real world prior to college and I found that meeting a like-minded co-ed is far easier to do in a college environment than grinding out hours at work… Do you think attending college at a younger age is, in anyway, disadvantageous to cultivating a satisfying and fruitful domesticated life?

Robert, I am so excited. to see you here. I have a son who recently turned 6 and is working on Saxon 5/4, along with some other math. We came to Saxon through a self teaching mindset and it had been recommended that they know all of their facts automatically (all operations through the 12’s) before starting 5/4.

My son has all his facts mastered, but still calculates some out, for example he will skip count occasionally to get to the answer in division.

My question for you is if you required your son to have his facts mastered to automaticity prior to starting 5/4 and if not did you just have him do the recommended 100 warm up problems before each lesson or a more extensive review of all 4 operations? Right now we have Blaise do all flashcards in all operations and/or one hundred timed problems in each operation prior to his lesson. He does them quickly maybe 7-8 minutes a sheet so it’s not huge commitment, but I was wondering if the Saxon program alone will get him the math fact automaticity he needs.

I’m still in a state of shock to find people that are actually interested in how I (we) did it, rather than simply smiling and thinking my kid is a freak with a big brain. So I’m more than happy to know parents like you guys really exist. I shall try to answer the questions…

“Do you believe any parent can accelerate their child in mathematics, or does the parent need to know advanced mathematics themself before imparting to the child?”

I guess it depends on one’s definition of “advanced mathematics”. Being an engineer, I’ve got the advanced math. But I basically stopped trying to even teach David any math when he started Calculus…at that point it was just staying on top of him and making sure he was doing what was expected in class (and that he never, ever, missed class). One thing that was pretty funny was that David got quite popular in his classes, so he rushed to get his homework done early so he could help others (obviously I advised him not to simply give solutions). But, yes, it probably would have been tougher if I didn’t know the materials. If that were the case, then I’d only be able to tell him if his answers were right or wrong, but not really steer him. But, again, if you got through even Algebra 2 before finishing high school, you can do wonders. Starting him in college at Calculus 1 is not necessary, instead starting him with pre-calc is perfectly fine…and to get there, you just need to complete Algebra 2 (at least per Saxon).

Did you use Saxson all the way up through Calc 1? If not, at what point did you change texts? Would it be too difficult to give a list of the texts that you used up through Calc 1? I ask because I’ve already purchased a handful of older 90s Saxson texts and if you feel the higher mathematics Saxson texts are still the best, then I’ll get those too (such as Algebra, Trig, Calc)

Almost. I stopped after finishing Saxon’s “Advanced Mathematics” which is their pre-calc. That book was a lot of work to get through, and I made him start at the very beginning (earlier, I would skip 20 to 40 chapters, simply because he didn’t need the review). Once done with that book, he was good to go for college Calculus (it is an outstanding book), so I didn’t bother with Saxon for Calc. 1 (although I still have the book, along with Physics, which I didn’t use much either). One thing that I did do, which is a bit tricky these days, is come up with Log and Trig tables. I made him use them instead of calculators (until just about at the very end), which Saxon (unfortunately) starts to use at the higher levels. I simply don’t see a place for calculators in mathematics.

Did you do after school teaching, or did you at some point do exclusive home schooling?

After school. Home schooling with him was hopeless, we tried one semester, when he had maybe 2 college classes. We bought Abeka, but our kid was normal, and gamed the system. My wife tried, but she wasn’t born here (Asian), so it wasn’t too hard for him to trick her into thinking he was working, when he wasn’t. But that was later. At the beginning, it was before school (if you can believe that), after school, on weekends, on vacation (but only when there was nothing else to do on long drives). Overall, his learning of reading and then math took the place of video games and TV. It was that simple. Young kids have a lot of time, but they also require near-continuous attention from parents.

Could you walk us through a typical day (when you were really hitting the math hard)?

Wow, I’ll try. I think (but not sure) that I would wake him at about 0700, we’d do one section of (early) Saxon, and then I’d go to work and he’d go to his Christian school. He’d come home from school, and I’d come home from work a bit later. We’d try to get through 2 sections in the late afternoon/evening, although 1 was fine for a weekday. He’d go to sleep at about 2100, he was more than happy to go to bed and was out immediately (a nice benefit of our routine that holds to this day). At school he was taught to be respectful and keep his hand down most of the time, so as not to hurt the feelings of other kids…but if asked, he’d answer questions. Never a problem, and did fine making friends. If he EVER said something to make me think he thought that he was something special, he regretted it, for I raked him over the coals for that. It was rare, and usually my misunderstanding, but he got the point. I’ve always said that if I wrote a book about raising kids, the title would be “You Ain’t Shiite”, except you can replace that last word with the word you’re thinking of. And believe me, I said that to him a number of times, flat-out. He got the point, and has never been on one of those “Save the World” kicks that prodigies think they can do.

You mentioned David taking the SAT at 10 years old. Was this due to a requirement at the junior college or for some other purpose (such as taking the AP exam just to prove it)?

The SAT was required. He needed a 500 in math to take Math classes, and a 500 in Verbal to take other clasessn (he squeaked that one with 510). I think it’s the way that Texas makes sure that little punks wanting to take college course aren’t trying to game the system to get out of having to endure the public schools. In other words, if you want to go to college at a high-school age (or younger, in this case), you need to show that you’re college material. It makes sense to me.

Along those lines, when did you approach the junior college for admittance and how simple or smooth was the process?

That was luck. It wound up that my wife took some math classes there and then talked to her teacher, who just happened to run the department. She wound up having to check with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (and no, I had no clue that they existed) to see if it was ok to have such a young kid. They never specified a minimum age, so he was good to go, providing he had the SAT scores. My suggestion to others is to have solid proof that junior is up to it, like SAT scores and be prepared to have junior interviewed to see if he’s up to it.

Stated another way, what sort of obstacles, if any, did you encounter in attempting to get David admitted to the junior college?

None…just needed the SAT scores. But this is Texas. Overall, I think it’s usually doable, if the kid can act mature and has the scores. The public schools are a different story if you want to accelerate your kid, however, because David would be considered a “distraction” in their line of reasoning.

Does David feel as though he missed out socially by attending college early? If not, how was he able to satisfy the urge to enjoy friendships that typically blossom “in school”?

Not a bit. He was going to church every week and had (and has) very close same-age friends. We (wife and I) did all we could to nurture those friendships and he was happy with how it turned out. Even so, it’s tough because he’s not in the same classes and lunch rooms as those kids - he only saw them once a week. But he’s keep close to them. At San Jac. (junior college) he made some friends from their “Gaming Guild” which I never liked but he enjoyed it - you can probably figure out what it was about. He still stays in touch with them. At Univ. of Houston, he got very close to a number of people that were ~5 years older than him. They would go as far as to eat out at a place where he would be admitted, before going off to the real bar scene. One of them once said, to the effect: “you seem like a normal college person, which is amazing considering your age”. He related great with them. As I mentioned earlier, he has zero regrets regarding missing high school and rates his childhood as an 11, on a scale of 1 to 10. So, in the end, if your kid is taught to respect people that struggle to learn what Saxon taugh him, he will be just fine.

I met my wife in college. I know many others that also met their spouse in college. I’m by no means saying that college is the only place to meet someone, but I will say that I had spent a few years in the real world prior to college and I found that meeting a like-minded co-ed is far easier to do in a college environment than grinding out hours at work… Do you think attending college at a younger age is, in anyway, disadvantageous to cultivating a satisfying and fruitful domesticated life?

Fair question. I agree, he misses that chance, but he’s 18 now and if he’s doing good at Exxon (or whereever) in a few years, he won’t have a problem finding a wife there. Women are now the majority of college graduates (although not in engineering). I suspect that he won’t have a problem finding someone. He also has his church connections. But right now, he just plays it day to day, and after he graduates, he will work, and then, when the time is right, he’ll look for a wife. In my case, it was hopeless at college…so I’m not going to worry much.

I actually have very few friends that met their spouses in college. In fact i cant think of any off the top of my head. I have 4 friends that met theirs spouses in HS. The rest met in other ways.

“Robert, I am so excited. to see you here.”

Like I’ve said, I’m happy to (finally) be among parents that seem to actually be willing to do what it takes for their kids to do well, rather than trusting an institution that may or may not have have his best interests in mind.

“I have a son who recently turned 6 and is working on Saxon 5/4, along with some other math. We came to Saxon through a self teaching mindset and it had been recommended that they know all of their facts automatically (all operations through the 12’s) before starting 5/4.”

Agree and actually we were far beyond that. I had David dividing fractions and doing huge multiplication problems problems prior (and he hated me for it). That was more because I had not heard of Saxon, rather than thinking it was needed. I simply didn’t have a plan at first. But, yes, if you start at 5/4 arithmetic facts must be automatic first. There’s a lot to 5/4 that goes way beyond just number manipulation. I think the biggest problem is that kids struggle with stuff that they should have learned earlier…which is tragic. Just teach them that stuff before pushing ahead, and they’re never behind.

“My son has all his facts mastered, but still calculates some out, for example he will skip count occasionally to get to the answer in division.”

Sorry, don’t follow.

“My question for you is if you required your son to have his facts mastered to automaticity prior to starting 5/4 and if not did you just have him do the recommended 100 warm up problems before each lesson or a more extensive review of all 4 operations?”

5/4 does contain the warm-up, but I’d get him through them first.

“Right now we have Blaise do all flashcards in all operations and/or one hundred timed problems in each operation prior to his lesson. He does them quickly maybe 7-8 minutes a sheet so it’s not huge commitment, but I was wondering if the Saxon program alone will get him the math fact automaticity he needs.”

Maybe the earlier years of Saxon might, but we didn’t use them. I’d recommend that junior be able to do those basic problems first, prior to hitting up 5/4. But I don’t consider myself expert in that area.

"I actually have very few friends that met their spouses in college. In fact i cant think of any off the top of my head. I have 4 friends that met theirs spouses in HS. The rest met in other ways. "

That was my case. Indirectly through work. I had a coworker that moved to another city. I went to visit him, told him that I was looking for a wife (LOL). He found me one. I know one couple that met in high school (maybe earlier), still married. I know one other in college - long since divorced. I tend to agree that Mrs. degrees are not what they might have once been.

(whoops, missed this post)

“Thank you so much for your contribution. I too like math to be math and not full of games too. My son is only 2 so we do use a lot of manipulatives for now. But I think I will be phasing them out in a few years.”

You’re welcome. We did nothing beyond the alphabet at age 2. It wasn’t until age 3.5 that we started reading. As far as math, one thing I figured out early was that the kid does not need to know the meaning of what’s being taught. I tried for weeks to teach David that 3 apples plus 2 apples meant 5 apples. He simply couldn’t get it. I finally gave up and went abstract - I didn’t care if he knew what “3” or “2” meant, all I cared about was that 3 plus 2 equaled 5 and that was it. I figured that he would backfill the meaning of the numbers later. He did. It worked great. As I mentioned earlier, we after-schooled, so I figured his day school would fill in any blanks that I left (like that gaping one).

My son is currently a sight word reader, however. I completely agree with the value of phonics. He just isn’t getting the blending yet. He can sound out a few words with great difficulty. I know that this is something that will click in time.

I’d recommend jettisoning sight-words, completely (since I was invited here for my comments). I took a very basic Russian-language class at work. They don’t even have letter-names - everything is sounds there. I think that sight words simply mis-wires the brains of the little guys. If I wanted to get political (so feel free to ignore), I’d say it’s intentional - to assure that the kids never become good readers. I base that on my understanding that in 3rd (maybe 4th, grade), they then go to phonics. Sight words almost seem to be designed to delay the onset of actually learning to read, and that is inhumane (in my opinion). But, at age 2, it probably doesn’t hurt - but I strongly recommend you get clear of that approach.

“I love how you accelerated your son’s education by enrolling him into a community college at a young age. I think your method was brilliant. It is something to consider in 10 or so years. I can still teach him content and how to learn, but he may as well be going on and trying for a higher education diploma on the side if he is able.”

Thanks. We were also out of options. At one point he was 8 years ahead of age in math. He either would have been doing nothing most of the days, so on to college. One thing we did do, that kept him there a bit longer, was to make sure that he had biology and chemistry, just as if he had been in high school - we didn’t want him to miss that stuff, even if he really didn’t need it.