Teaching your baby how to swim

I totally agree that constant supervison is necessary, and I also caution about a false sense of security. But I do feel better that Matteson is equipped with skills that could save her life should something horrible happen. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that, Karli. I can imagine how you must feel… :frowning:

Totally agreed about constant supervision!

Yes constant supervision is a MUST for children this young.

I started my girl on swimming classes this Summer at 2 different places and I must say that the instructor and their methods is very important. With one class, she did not really learn a thing and actually got scared of water after 3 classes! Then I went to another one, which was a swimming camp for 5 days in a row. At the first class, she was crying nonstop and my husband kept shaking his head (he was in the water with her) as he couldn’t do anything to stop her. The second day, I took her in and again she cried, but was slightly better but I had to constantly sing to her to make her happy (she loves music). By the third class, she was much better and only cried to complain but at least she did most of the exercises. The method they used was excellent and I managed to get her to go underwater without drinking any in the 3rd class.

Unfortunately, my daughter fell sick the 4th and 5th day, so we missed those, but I am sure that if we went, she would have been much better! I really think that they can swim very young because in the same class, there were babies as young as 6 months and he was doing very well (his dad told me, that was his 5th week, so he has had 20+ classes already).

I’m curious about the child who drowned hours later. I hope you don’t mind sharing a little more info. about how that could happen.I am not trying to be skeptical at all - just trying to understand how it could happen in order to prevent it. That’s a very scary scenario.

thanks

Here is the story from our local news station. Thanks for asking; I think every parent should read it! http://www.live5news.com/Global/story.asp?s=8415097

Thanks! That article helped me to understand it a little better. It’s still a scary thought, but at least they gave a few warning signs to watch for.

I appreciate the info. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link. It is really useful to know that this can happen. Really scary!

In australia they have pool fencing regulations but still we have tragic drownings, like in dams (they cant be fenced), in water collection towers (3 year-old twins died last year climbing up one at their grandparents), in jogger prams which go downhill into rivers the moment a mum loses concentration answering a monile phone (this has hsppened a couple of times last year). I always check if people have little fish ponds… they can be lethal. Even a bucket of water for the dog can drown a baby.

Speaking of jogger prams, our maternal health nurse says DONT USE THEM for jogging, they cause shaken baby syndrome and brain damage!

actually a friend of mine had a bad experience with her kids at a lesson at the pool…they were 3 or 4 years old and the instructor didnt seem to notice they were drowning…mum had to jump in and rescue them! and at a local pool with life guards someone yelled out "oh my god they’re drowning, and sure enough right near me there were 2 kids under water at the side of the pool… their mums at the very opposite side. so even lifeguards dont make a pool safe, and when watch0ing your own kids you can have blind spots where you can have 2 children underwater drowning right near you and you cant see, and over all the noise, cant hear. Just near the edge is not a very visible spot.

In australia you can buy or borrow from the library videos “teach your baby to swim” by Laurie lawrence, who coaches the olympic swim team.

Wow I’ve never heard of ‘dry-drowning’ before…weird, and a bit scary. Ashley always has a nap after swimming. In fact he’s upstairs now… :frowning:

Can videos do it then? I was under the impression that a professional trainer has to be there in person ?

Yes the dry drowning is very strange, especially that kids tend to sleep after swimming, like Karli’s Ashley, because they are drained from all their energy :wink:

I also have a video called Waterbabies by Little Dippers UK. It’s a 21 week by week instruction and demonstration of how you can teach your baby to swim. Their main aim is to teach babies to swim to the edge or to turn and float in case they do fall into the water.

They also say that most drowning occurs when the baby panics and takes in water, but if they manage to stay calm, it actually reduces the chances of drowning.

In the video, they have around 10-15 babies doing the demo and the youngest is only 5 weeks old. It’s really amazing to watch them all being taught how to swim and also when they actually swim.

However, at the end of the day, it is the practical experience which matters so I definitely still think a real coach will be better than any videos or books. :yes:

Thanks for the info! :slight_smile:

I was wondering, did you try the videos with your baby then? I mean, did you watch them and try doing them yourself? how well is that working out?

Did try the first few weeks as some exercises I can do in the bath tub at home and it was fine, but then I enrolled her into an actual swim class.

i just borrowed from the library usboorne Parent’s Guides…Teach your baby to swim. Lots of pictures… handy for those who have their own pools.

Hi everybody

We had to give the brand-new Reading section of BrillBaby priority over the Swimming section (do check out the new Reading section if you haven’t already!).

But… I had a chat with a baby-swim instructor and pediatrician to put together a Swimming FAQ that I hope some of you will find useful.

Personally, I’ve found the submersion technique invaluable. I don’t think I would’ve had the guts to put Naimah under without it!

I also recommend counting to three right before you blow in your baby’s face. Nim got the hang of it immediately and now, when I start counting, I can see her preparing to go under. She used to look so completely shocked (and a little scared) when she came up - but not anymore. :slight_smile:

Maddy

Hi,

I started teaching my babyboy swimming in the pool last week. He is now five months old and gets realy excited when he sees the water :slight_smile: I still cant let him on his own but he is already doing the doggy style swiming technique :smiley:
Here is our favorite video - we love the song as well :slight_smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1wLVmgChOc&feature=related

Well done!!

Felicity has only just been able to go underwater without TOO much complaint! Wish we knew these techniques much earlier!

:slight_smile:

I couldn’t have imagined that babies could swim like they do in the videos. I’m really impressed! Thanks to all of you for those fantastic videos. I had never thought about teaching my baby how to swim before but after having seen those videos I am really thinking about taking my baby to some swimming lessons.
It’s a shame summer is coming to an end because I suppose this is the best season to start swimming learning ( because of the good weather)