Teaching tips

can use power point presentations, flash cards, plastic toy. by using name cards and toys play find and match, or label object by using name cards. this make the child learn through playing

We have been writing down all the new words she is saying and keep it up on the refrigerator. We review the words very often and sometimes she just points at them.

Now, I want to start the mailbox idea, I’m just not sure what to write. Can the people that have done it share what phrases or words they have include in their “letters”?

Thanks!

I have only tried it once so far. You need to use at least some words that your child knows, but I did include some she wouldn’t know so she can learn more words that way.

This is what I wrote:

Dear (child’s name)
I love you. We can have fun today.
Love from Mummy

With more letters I might say what we are going to do today, what might happen tomorrow, or even tell a very short story. I think its best to start very short and see how your child manages and as they get more keen to make the letters longer.

What I’m doing these day is to put together a word with letter magnets on the fridge for her to discover when she wakes. I was running out of ideas so i’m doing days of the week now.

I have been writing the lunch and dinner “menus” daily since seeing this post. I list the main three items on a whiteboard (12x18) that sits in the middle of the table and point to the word as I dish out that particular food item. Lately, during the meal, my son has been pointing saying /s/ or /t/ or whatever other sound he recognizes. After the meal he helps me erase the different sounds. He’ll say “Mama arase /e/” and he’ll show me all the E’s to wipe off. He loves this job!