Talking from Infancy - Free Giveaway!!

Just saw this post. Hope it’s not too late to comment:-)

Wow letter sounds so early! Amazing!

That’s fantastic, well done cub!

Thank you for all your comments!

I ran a few random numbers and recorded them. I looked at the last two digits to find the first one that would fit the list, and the winner is…

SPR

I’m not sure who this is, so you need to send me a PM. If not claimed, I’ll take the next random number to get another winner.

The interesting thing was that I was going to give an honorable mention to “SPR” anyway because this is an acronym and well known term in the world of poker. It stands for “Stack to Pot Ratio”… LOL… I really am a Poker Dad!

Stay tuned. I might not be done here.
Thank you!

same I didn´t read thise before, but I have to say I am very imprested on the swimming!!! great job! you r little one looks soo happy and confortable.

Update

The contest is now officially over. The grand prize has been claimed by BK member SPR from Poland!

Congratulations to the winner & thank you all for your continued support!!

Now let’s get out there and make waves in the early learning community!

Edit:
User “Sailor” on the blog asked about ear infections. I’ll leave a response here in this thread & will update my post with this also. I was hesitant to even do the swimming because of ear infection fear. Let’s face it, ear infections can thwart all EL efforts and I wasn’t sure if it was worth it. Well, it turns out that my fear was unsubstantiated in two ways. First, ear infections from swimming aren’t typical ear infections - it’s swimmer’s ear, which is an infection of the outer ear and not the inner ear. In my approximately 20 years of swimming, I had swimmer’s ear about twice (maybe 3 times) - none of which needed any treatment other than time (I’d say about 3 days or so). I do recall them being painful, but I’d attend practice anyway and just “kick” on a board with my head above water (FWIW, me doing that seems silly to me now, but hey I had to placate the coach somehow). Secondly, you can prevent swimmer’s ear by keeping the water pressure low on the ear. I never had water stuck in my ears when I used a swim cap that covered my ears… the problem seems to always happen when I have nothing over my ear. So, I purchased “Macks” brand wax ear plugs for children and a neoprene ear cover… the problem is that Cub is too small for the ear cover and the plugs will not stay in without the ear covering. I did manage to purchase another product that’s effectively ear drops. Back in my day, the brand was “swimmerear” or something to that effect… this particular brand I bought from Target for maybe $2 had a picture of Aaron Piersol on the cover called Auro-Dri. Either one could be made at home as the solution is just glycerin and rubbing alcohol. The alcohol is supposed to mix with the water in your ear and then help it evaporate… all the coaches told me to do this, but I never did. My swim cap trick worked just fine, but I’m using the drops with Cub and hopefully we avoid any issues.

Re-Edit:
I made a minor mistake in describing it as “water pressure”. It’s not the pressure of the water that’s the important consideration but rather the air inside the ear canal. By wearing a cap over my entire ear (down below the ear lobe generally speaking) water went into my ear but the air inside the ear canal was never flushed out and replaced with water. In fact, I’d describe it as water getting stuck beneath the swim cap and acting as an ear plug! This strategy, whenever discussed with other swimmers, solicited angst and discomfort from them. Most people didn’t like the feeling of that water sitting there when they lifted their head, BUT I noticed I never had that annoying water stuck in my ear (the water under the cap quickly came out once I removed the cap or had my head above the water any length of time)… and it’s precisely that annoying water stuck in the ear that will give you swimmer’s ear (IMO). Hence my initial method for Cub was to have ear plugs with some sort of cover… the second method is to admit that he’ll have water stuck in his ears and put drops in them to help allay the issue.

I’m the Sailor :smiley:

When my in-laws first heard my DS’s swimming adventure, they immediately remind me about keeping his ears dry…
pressure

Thanks for the cap tip, didnt crossed my mind at all! now off to get a swim cap!

I was going to suggest a little rubbing alcohol after swimming also. I used to get swimmers eat all the time as a kid. This helped a lot.

Hello PokerDad
Thank you for the information and the generous offer to the members
I am not one to be outdone by generosity.
Send me a pm and I will post you a copy of my book - Midbrain Activation for Parents - Part 1