Stop Press - I started a blog!

I’ve had it since May 2011. DadDude and other bloggers on BK have been an inspiration.
I’ve started shyly at first, then, by October this year, I realized I can do it so started to write articles on early learning. And I have success :)) It’s bilingual now, though it takes time for me to translate in English the longer articles.

Nee, thank you for this. I heard about Charlotte Mason but haven’t got the time to study it. What she says about narration is very useful. I need “how to’s” as much as I can get. My parents didn’t have time to read to me and I was either alone or in the care of others and they were pretty busy too. Most of my childhood I invented stories with the dolls, even trying to draw them on walls :))

Hi andreaso,

Karen Andreola also wrote a book on Charlotte Mason’s methods. The book is titled ‘A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning’. I haven’t read the book yet, but I googled Karen up to see if she had a website where she said things about narration. And yes, she does, and here is what she said about the Charlotte Mason method of narration - http://www.homeschoolhighlights.com/02_narration/. Hope that helps.

nee - as usual, you have posted some excellent links, thank you. I haven’t read any of Charlotte Mason’s writing yet. I tried to read her original work on amblesideonline recently; however, I couldn’t make my way through it. I think I’ll have to tackle it when I’ve had a good night’s sleep :wub: I just read through the link you posted to Karen Andreola’s article and it has strengthened my resolve to use narration more.

Since we have started this discussion, I have been taking more notice of Sophie’s language. I have come to the conclusion that she learns so much when I narrate, e.g. over dinner this evening she asked me to tell her a story. When I asked what kind of story she wanted, she said “the story of food” meaning the path food travels through the body. She likes to hear the same things over and over again and I guess it helps to solidify concepts in her mind & her vocabulary.

Up until now, she has not wanted to narrate herself, content to simply listen to me. However, I have noticed a shift over the last few days where she is more willing to narrate, without prompting. One thing that has helped this is for me to ‘rehearse’ with her, e.g. I used specific questions to prompt her to tell me about her day at the creche today, what she did, what colour paint she used etc. Then, over dinner, she repeated this information to her daddy. With more practice, I feel she will develop this conversational skill.

You’re definitely NOT a beginner-blogger so! Well done :slight_smile:

Seastar,

Here is an update. I increased the number of read-alouds to 10 chapters of a chapter book. I joined the 2013 book challenge by Tamsyn (http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/new-year’s-goal-read-2-013-book-this-year/). Tamsyn calculated the number of books to be 5.52 per day. Since the chapters of the book I read were very long, I equated 1 chapter to be 1 book.

So I thought I was doing quite well averaging 10 books per day. Then, Frukc repasted this old thread (http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/30-000-words-a-day/). I reread the thread, and found that 30000 words per day was equated to 18 and a half reads of Dr Seuss’s Cat in the Hat. Cat in the Hat is not a short book. It has 64 pages, though a few of the pages comprise pictures only. So, I’ll have to step up my act. lol

So far, my boy’s enunciation has improved. I’ll love to see much more improvement though. So I’ll be stepping up my act to 15-20 chapters if I wish to equate 18 and a half re-reads of Cat in the Hat. I remembered what Doman said about Intensity, Frequency, and Duration. Simply put, if you wish to achieve a thing (say crawling or walking) with a child, step up the intensity, the frequency, and the duration. So for example if you want a child to crawl, place him on his tummy all the time (I posted an excerpt here - http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-other-topics/outgrowing-an-infant-crawling-track/msg86927/#msg86927).

In my opinion, 18 and a half reads of Cat in the Hat in one day is surely a step up of intensity, frequency and ration. lol

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

nee - so sorry for the late reply!

My goodness, 18 and a half read of Cat in the Hat a day?!? I am nowhere near that! :wacko:

You raised an interesting point about increasing the intensity, frequency and duration - so do more, more often and for longer…hmmm…some thoughts on this:

Intensity - reading a wide variety of books from easy to difficult, old favourites to unfamiliar, fiction to nonfiction etc. What type of books do you read? Do you reread some of them? Something that I am doing at the moment, at my daughter’s request, is reading a book immediately after she reads it. I think she likes to listen to how I say the words, the expression, voices, etc., it allows her to focus on the pictures (on the page or in her head) and she will often ask questions about punctuation too. We generally only read 1 chapter a day, with lots of picture books thrown in to the mix - it sounds pretty pathetic compared to your goal of 15-20 chapters! :ohmy:

Frequency - you could go for the HSIYB approach where you read aloud 10 times a day. I keep books everywhere for this - obviously in the children’s rooms, by my bed, the kitchen table, the sofa, every room in the house, my handbag, the car, the buggy, and we have a book bag for when we go to cafe’s. I usually read while nursing the baby too. (the downside is that the house is very messy with books thrown everywhere!)

Duration - longer reading sessions, never missing a day

What age is your little boy now? It’s wonderful to hear that his enunciation has improved! Are there particular sounds he has difficulty with? Is it the start or the end of words? The start or end of a sentences? Or is it overall clarity in general? Does it warrant an assessment by a speech and language therapist?

Have you tried videoing your little boy or getting him to speak in front of the mirror? Sometimes children are unaware of the movement of their mouth and that they can improve their speech by becoming more aware of this.

Are you familiar with the Handwriting Without Tears approach? They advocate that children write one or two letters in their best handwriting, rather than writing the same letter many times of variable quality. Maybe you could try that approach, where at certain times of the day, you focus on one sound you would like to address and play games involving words that relate to that sound.

Sophie loves to read our baby’s very simple board books, one or two words per page. Maybe you could ask your little boy to read these books to a younger child, asking him to read slowly and clearly to teach the baby.

Tongue twisters and games like Telephone are great for helping children to realise the need to clearly enunciate to aid understanding. Also, verbal memory games that involve repetition, e.g. I went to the shop and I bought… etc.

Learning poems and songs off by heart - again, repetition helps child improve pronunciation.

Have you read Fowler’s book or watched the DVD? You may get some other ideas there.

Just a thought - are there any issues with his palate or tongue (tongue tie)?

Love the narrating your day idea. I’m going to start doing that.

Congrats on your blog! I’m going to check it out :slight_smile: