speech?

Nikolett, I also heard that bilingual kids start speeking later. One of my friends is married to the Canadian guy and their son didn’t speak much till he was two and a half. Now he is almost three and he is quite a chatterbox. He understands Russian perfectly well but he replies in English most of the time.
(You are from Kiev? Wow, I am from Zhitomir. :slight_smile: It’s great to meet you here! It’s a small world :slight_smile:

hi Diana
Do they live in Ukraine or abroad? We left Ukraine when my oldest was a baby and I stopped speaking Russian to her when she was two. She understood it plus English and Hungarian but couldn’t answer and was getting frustrated. Then she talked English but wouldn’t answer in Hungarian until we came to Hungary. Now I am trying to give them all a Russian class couple times a week and hope they’ll catch up.

One suggestion I have for you is to continue to speak in Russian, but let her answer back in whatever language she’s most comfortable in. That way, at least she will hear a lot of Russian and improve her comprehension skills. Over time, the more she understands it, then you can insist that she replies to some of your questions or say some short phrases in Russian.

Nikolett, my friend lives in Canada and her boy was born there. He speaks English now, but understands Russian cause Tania speaks Russian with him most of the time. But when his father comes home from work, Nickolas tells him everything that happened with him during the day in English. :slight_smile: I think that KL is right. You should keep speaking Russian with your kids and they will catch it up.

:slight_smile: Thanks tankit Iwill keep that in mind to teach him to write.Today he got a blackboard and with the chalk he is getting more interested to write .As he was trying to write he even sanged the alphabet.I have been singing the letters over year and did not say them and today he tried. lol . igive you a karma for this today . :clown:

I have noticed Colin will do things we normally do to teach him if we don’t do it. AS long as we do it he sits there and watches and does not do it with us. But if he doesn’t think we are watching while he is watching video or we are not doing it. He does it and looks at us like why are you not doing it. That is if he is not busy sucking his thumb. If he is busy sucking his thumb it better be something he really wants to do to remove the thumb!

Thanks KL and Diana,
I have started repeating what I said in Russian. It feels like double effort :wink: but I believe,it will pay off.

I always say the second language (Chinese) first and repeat in the first language (English) if I think she didn’t understand it the first time. Actually, often time, especially if it’s a question, it would be Chinese, quick English translation, then the question again in Chinese.

Yes, it’s quite an effort, but after a while, you will find you need to translate less. First, you know you won’t need to translate all the simple phrases like “No”, “I love you”, etc.

I have been told that playing with legos will help with fine motor skills and in turn help with speech. I guess since Colin is having problems with speech, he will also have problems with writing. :frowning: We have started with crayons, and so far not much interest. Trying to get him to draw a line scribble. He just wants to pound it into the paper.

hi patreiche

my son was afraid of bath time so i got him these bath crayons that are formulated such that they wash off. now bath is a pleasure and he love writing on the walls of the tub.
maybe that could boost your little ones interest in crayons.
hope it helps