Share pictures of playrooms/learning space!

You are amazing… I don’t have so much space but can certainly use some of your ideas… I loved the table … thanks for detail pictures… I try to get it made…

Reei, I will respond to you in a new thread with the title: Suzuiki violin, so other parents thar are interested benefit from this conversation.

Andrea,

As everyone else I’m amazed by your room and the organization of it. Could you please explain how you manage the laws and civility panels? meaning what is the criteria to mark a 1 or a 1/2, etc…? Also, I saw you have flash cards in different languages. How many languages are you taching your son? Do you speak those languages?

Again congratulations on achiving such organization and great lay out. Also, thanks for sharing all your knowledge with everyone here.

Joha,
the scores on the discipline pannel go like this:
+2 did it well, happily and advanced a level
+1 did it well and happily
+1/2 did it well
0 didn´t do it upon request
-1 didn´t do it upon request, and was rude
-2 didn´t do it upon request, and was rude and didn´t apologize.
We are studying six languages:

1. Spanish
  2. English
  3. German
  4. Japanese
  5. Latin
  6. Greek
    We read every day, we speak everyday, we write everyday on these languages, and everyday we learn something new, at least one word, one phonogram, one grammatic rule, whatever. I teach everything. When Iñaki was 2 yo he already started reading so right now I had to move on: grammar, printing, cursive, etc.
    I don´t know all the languages, so I prepare each class, at this point I have a method, but I NEVER translate, and he is starting to THINK in this languages because he uses mixed phrases, part in spanish, part in german, for instance, and that was what I was aiming for.

WoooW Andrea!
You are really a fantastic mom.
I am very impress with your organization and… every thing you have done.

Andrea,

Thank you so much for the information. I have a couple more questions. How do you set levels for laws and civility? Would you mind sharing your method for languages? I’m latin so I speak to her all the time in Spanish, we live in teh States and my husband is american so she is learning English from hom and we have been exposing her to Mandarin and German, but I have been kind of stuck on what else to do with the languages I don’t know.

Thanks again for sharing all your experiences!

PS. What materials have you used for German or where have you found the information?

Joha,
I quite don´t undersatnd what you mean levels for laws and civility.

WOW … WOW… WOW!!!
THe Playroom/Learning Space is so impressive!!!

Andrea,

This is what I was talking about. I’m not sure how you advance a level on discipline.

Thanks!

Also, did you see my quetsions about the German materials? Tx!

Hi Andrea,
That’s really great of u to share everything u do with ur kid,really amazing job,hats off to u!
I feel really bad ,i too have a 4yo.
We,in India,greatly depend on schools for education and i cannot even compare my son with urs…I’m really becoming jealous of ppl doing homeschooling,that’s a great job,i know coz i cannot even manage my kids when they r back home,leave alone getting organized and allocating spaces for them…
You’ve made me to think doing something wrt to teaching my kids,
Thanks and karma 2 u.

Joha,
about the levels on discipline, this is something I invented based in the Civil Code program.
It works like this.
Example: make your bed alone every morning.
When he was 2 he was starting this, so I demanded putting the pijamas aside so I could take off the bedspread and he would strectch his sheets. If he did it happily and at his best capacities (eventhough it was not 100% perfect) he got a +1 (in that time I used happy faces, now I use positive/negative numerals and fractions). If he advanced a level, it would mean that he would achieve something I wasn´t asking: having it done before I got to the bedroom and surprising me, leaving the sheets straighter than before so I could see he had mastered that task (motricity), doing the sheets and taking off the bedspread as well, and so on. I made bedmaking more complex, until the time came when he did it 100% by himself and perfect (adult standard). When he has mastered this, making your bed comes off the discipline pannel to be changed for something new that he needs to mastered, and it is simply part of his dayly responsabilities but he doesn´t get points for it. So the advancing of levels in any of the pannels is left to my subjective opinion (or father´s).
About the German language, I bought the german program from IAHP, that has bits, a guide to lessons and a cassete for hearing. After this we moved on to a teacher that would come once a week only to exercise our conversation, no teaching per se. After this I made a workbook so that he would write everyday (in cursive) and read every day new phrases and sentences, and be exposed to new words. Also I bought an adult course (only book) for learning german and a german workbook which german children (who supposedly know the language) use to write (amazon.de). I also downloaded a huge story book in german, and speak daily to him throughout the day in german…that´s it.

Andrea - Thank you SO much for sharing your space! You definitely inspired me!! I just noticed though on a different post, that you don’t use the computer or DVDs at all. However, you are still able to teach him languages that you don’t know. How do you do this? How are you able to pronouce the bits? Thank you so much again!! You have made me get serious about using a ladder!